Tips On How To Print Phrases On Cakes.

Decorating By Carm Updated 24 Nov 2005 , 11:28pm by peanut2

Carm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carm Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 5:19am
post #1 of 8

I am wondering if anyone had any tips on how to print on the side of the cake. I have printed phrases on cakes before, but never on the side and even when I do it on the top of a cake I just can't seem to make it perfect. Any suggestions on how to make the lettering look great?

Thanks

7 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 5:25am
post #2 of 8

I always use the pattern transfer technique for messages on cakes. I love fonts and use MS Word to print out my message in the font I want, transfer it onto the cake in piping gel, and then pipe it with bc icing or colored piping gel. Easy to do and perfect every time! I get so many compliments on the writing on my cakes. *snicker*

~ Sherri

Carm Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 5:31am
post #3 of 8

great idea. How do you use the piping gel to transfer it onto the cake?

Cakepro Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 5:37am
post #4 of 8

Have you taken a Wilton Course 2 or do you have access to a Course 2 book? That's where the pattern transfer technique is taught.

Allow your buttercream to crust, and trace your pattern or message in clear piping gel (I prefer a tip 2) onto a piece of parchment paper cut just a little larger than your image/message. Gently place the parchment paper, piping gel down, on your cake, and use a small paintbrush to gently brush over the entire image/message. You will be able to see when the piping gel is adhering to the cake as it changes appearance on the parchment paper. If you trace too lightly, your piping gel won't stick, and if you trace too hard, your piping gel will squish. Use a light touch, and once you've traced the entire thing, carefully peel your parchment paper off. Voila! Your image/message is there in clear piping gel with only YOU knowing that you didn't free-hand it. icon_smile.gif Outline/pipe in buttercream as usual.

Just remember to trace your message backwards, so that when you flip it to place it on your cake, it's not backwards. icon_smile.gif

My SpongeBob avatar is cut from a picture of a cake I did using the pattern transfer technique (and you can see more of my Spongebob transfers and message transfers at http://www.buttercreamdreams.com/spongebob_cakes.htm).

Carm Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 6:16am
post #5 of 8

That cake looks great. I understand how to do the transfer method now. Thank you so much for explaining it. I will try it and let you know how it works for me. I live in Western Canada and there are no Wilton classes available here. That is why this forum is so great. I just discovered it, well my sister did and I finally logged on and I love it. icon_biggrin.gif. Thanks again.

Cakepro Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 6:58am
post #6 of 8

You're very welcome! icon_smile.gif I'm looking forward to your pictures!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 8

hey carm,

for the side of a cake (or for the top), i like to use letters piped with melted candy/chocolate coating -- you pipe onto wax or parchement paper (flat), let them firm up (refrigerate a couple mins.) and then slide a angled palette knife under them. affix them to the side of a freshly iced cake (not crusted/dried yet), or use a little extra fresh icing as glue. on a square-sided cake you can stick scripted words with the letters joined, or you can print individual letters of any style or thickness for rounded sides. also, you can make as many as you like, so you can pick an choose among your letters, and you'll have back-up in case of breakage. thumbs_up.gif

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 8

Great ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%