How Much Would You Charge For This Cake??

Decorating By lindsaycakes Updated 18 Feb 2007 , 12:38am by notjustcake

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 14

I always quote cake prices thinking, "Are they going to think this is a ridiculously high price to charge?" So therefore, it ends up being kind of low, in my opinion.

Then I finish the cake and think, "These people are getting a STEAL!"

How do you charge enough without people feeling like you are ripping them off? I have a confidence in my cakes, but people just don't pay for good cakes here (Indiana).

I charged $36.00 for this cake, and I think that was too low. It is 5-6" rounds and 2-5" rounds. What would anyone else charge for this cake??

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to hear some numbers/suggestions!
Lindsay

13 replies
lindsaycakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 14

For some reason my picture is too large to attach....it is the Baby Einstein Caterpillar in My pictures.

Sorry it's not more convenient!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 14

I would have charged $50 - $60. It's really cute!

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 14

62.00 according to my pricing... very cute cake though hon

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 14

Lindsay, I know what you mean about not understanding the value of speciality cakes. Most people around here don't understand either. Their basis of comparison is either a grocery store $20 cake or their own wedding cake (which was probably around $300). They figure, gee, I could do that, and it wouldn't cost THAT much. But, they just don't understand the work involved, or the learning that has gone into place. If I were in your situation, I probably would have wanted to charge $40 and would have charged $35. But, If I were a "professional", then I would have felt like I could have charged maybe $50. This probably doesn't help much, and probably people will disagree with me, but that is my humble opinion.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 14

Where I am I would have done between $50 - $60... but I also can't price a cake to save my tush...

Great Job!!!

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 14

I'm in the same ball park with the other ladies...$50-$60 easily. Don't underprice yourself or your talent. That was hard for me to escape from, too. However, once people try your cakes and SEE your cakes, suddenly, it's not so hard to quote your price. People are willing to pay for quality and creativity and you have both going for you!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 14

Lindsay
I think customers just need to be educated on cakes. Most people will listen if you tell them about what they get from a grocery store and what they will get custom made in someone's home. You can also explain abt grocery stores buying wholesale and being able to put out a cake that will only cost them maybe $2, where it will probably cost you $10. Im just making up numbers here. Anyway, that cake is certainly a steal. I wouldnt have done anything like that for less than AU$150AU (US$120) icon_surprised.gif

crumbscakeartistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbscakeartistry Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 14

That would be around $60. Look at your price per serving cost. That is quite a few servings in the cake.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 14

I've set a "base price" for all of my custom cakes at $60. Something like this although not very detailed, i would have gone $50.

If you are starting to sell your wares, I would also set a base price. That way, anyone & everyone that comes to you with a special request will know off the bat how much it will "at least" cost.

lindsaycakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 14

Hmmm...thank-you all for your thoughts. I have some prices to re-evaluate, now!

For those of you who do the custom/shaped cakes, which I assume all of you who posted do...How do you price each cake and have it come out equally and fairly?? Do you charge by serving and then add cost for detail work??

I just want to make sure that everyone is getting the same standard of pricing, if that makes sense!
Keep posting! This is tremendously helpful to me, and appreciate your time!

Lindsay

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:00am
post #12 of 14

I like Boonenati's prices. You have the right idea. I firmly believe that a special cake is worth paying for.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:27am
post #13 of 14

I probably would have charged around 40 bucks for this cake just because it looks so simplistic, with a minimal amount of piping/decorating.

It's really adorable!! You did a great job. icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:38am
post #14 of 14

I don't know how to price cakes by have bought many ones at grocery stores and custom made ones, I paid $90 for my daughter's 1st bday cake it was a huge cake!!! but custom made, I can tell you how much i would pay for this and tops 60 I'm guessing the cakes are small you didn't say what size these are

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%