Airbrush Or Color Mist Spray

Decorating By heidihill Updated 17 Feb 2007 , 1:52pm by msauer

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:01am
post #1 of 6

Hi all

I will be making a 3 tier fondant cake that is all dark purple.

I'm just wondering if I should go the Color Mist Spray route or go with the air brush?

I have not used an air brush before, but I have access to one. I am just covering the whole cake one colour, so I don't think it will be too difficult to master. My dad is experienced in regular paint airbrushing and can teach me or do it for me if needed.

The Color Mist will be more convenient, but probably more expensive.

Also, I'm not sure what shade of purple the Color Mist is. The picture of the can on the Wilton site, looks really quite light. Has anyone used this? Is it a matter of the more you spray the darker it is?

I think I can go as dark as I want to with the Airbrush.

Which way is better, airbrush or Color Mist?

Thanks
Heidi

5 replies
hazelina82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelina82 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:15am
post #2 of 6

I have the violet color mist and it's not very dark. Also I don't always get an even color. Some spots come out great and soft while other spots come out wet-like. I used it on my cupcakes. I'd like to learn how to use the airbrush though.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:20am
post #3 of 6

I've only ever used the color mist one time (years ago) on some cupcakes...it never seemed to dry. BUT, I love my airbrush. I use it all the time. I think that I would mix my own purple instead of the standard purple you get from KopyKake...I think it looks kind of funky. Be sure to mix more than you will need so you have plenty to do the whole cake. (I just airbrushed a three tiered cake two weekends ago...the Robban cake in my gallery.

I guarantee you once you get the hang of an airbrush, you will wonder what you did without it.

-Michelle

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 7:25am
post #4 of 6

If I had the option I would use the airbrush...

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:22am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies.

msauer, by mixing your own purple, do you mean buying red and blue colours instead of the purple? Or getting the purple and adding to it?

i have never been able to get a nice purple by mixing red and blue or the Wilton paste colours, but when I bought the violet, it worked great. I don't know i will be able to get a nice purple with a red and blue air brush colour either.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 6

Yes. I do mean mixing the red and blue. It is kinda tough to get it to the color you want. I usually mix my two colors together in a bowl and test on paper towels until I get the desired color, but you have to keep mixing up your bowl prior to reloading your airbrush because the colors tend to seperate as they sit there for some reason. Maybe its my brand...not sure.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%