Powdered Sugar Question

Decorating By tobycat Updated 18 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm by Loucinda

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 6:20am
post #1 of 19

Okay, what the heck is 10x sugar? or 6X for that matter?

I've only seen C & H and store brands. What's the other stuff, and where can I get it.

BTW, we do not have a super Walmart here. icon_sad.gif

Sarah

18 replies
learnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnee Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 6:25am
post #2 of 19

in Culinary school, we've always referred powdered sugar '10x'. I got used to using that term. I've never heard of 6x. I buy my sugar from either Costco or Smart n Final and most of the time the brand I get is C&H.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 6:29am
post #3 of 19

Generally the 10x or the 6x, tells you how many times the ps has been sifted. Some recipes call for the 10 and some the 6. Most of your bakeries, will use a 6X because they use a higher ratio shortning, and it seems to do better. Sams carries both usually. The Walmart brand is a 10X sugar, it actually is Domino's sugar.

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 19

The real reason bakeries use 6x is because it is cheaper. The number refers to the fineness of the grind- not the number of times it has been sifted. The smaller the number, the larger the grain size of the sugar.

tobycat Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake

Generally the 10x or the 6x, tells you how many times the ps has been sifted. Some recipes call for the 10 and some the 6. Most of your bakeries, will use a 6X because they use a higher ratio shortning, and it seems to do better. Sams carries both usually. The Walmart brand is a 10X sugar, it actually is Domino's sugar.

Is Crisco considered a high-ratio shortening?

Sarah

sweetamber Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 19

No. Hi-ratio would be Alpine, Sweetex, etc....you can't find these in the grocery store so they need to be ordered online or bought at a cake supply store.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 19

Cupcake, all I buy is the Wal Mart brand. You mean that is a 10x sugar? I'll have to look at the package.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 19

Cupcake, all I buy is the Wal Mart brand. You mean that is a 10x sugar? I'll have to look at the package. All it says on the bag is "Marketed by Wal Mart" and contains beet sugar and cornstarch.

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:20pm
post #9 of 19

I always buy dominos 10x powder sugar

once for my royal icing i used generic powder sugar.....it didn't work! Now I always use dominos 10x ps....just in case

I get mine at the local grocery store.....i'm soooooooo against wal-mart!! It's not even funny.

sweetamber Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberm05

i'm soooooooo against wal-mart!! It's not even funny.

Good to know I'm not alone in that sentiment!

_angel_1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_angel_1974 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 6:11pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberm05

I always buy dominos 10x powder sugar

once for my royal icing i used generic powder sugar.....it didn't work! Now I always use dominos 10x ps....just in case

I get mine at the local grocery store.....i'm soooooooo against wal-mart!! It's not even funny.

thumbs_up.gif Same here! That's what I use. I feel the same way about generic cream cheese too. I ruined a cheesecake. ~ Doh! ~ Never again!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 2:47am
post #12 of 19

I very rarely use a "name brand" product, and have never had the first problem with the "generics" - I have been baking for 25+ years. I refuse to pay inflated prices for virtually the same product.

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:01am
post #13 of 19

Yeah I usually go with the cheapest 10x sugar I can find. I've never found any differences with the generic brands, just maybe they need to be sifted and sometimes I can get away with not sifting Dominos. But other than that, I think 10x sugar is 10x sugaricon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:20pm
post #14 of 19

Okay, so how do you know it's 10x???? I've never seen it on the bag, but then I've never looked that closely.

I used ps with cornstarch in it once, and it didn't work as well.

What's the difference between hi-ratio shortening and Crisco?

Sarah

Loucinda Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:25pm
post #15 of 19

ALL powdered sugar has cornstarch in it - whether it is name brand or generic.

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:31pm
post #16 of 19

I buy my cake mixes and powder sugar at "Dollar General" Both are $1.00 or less. Duncan Hines and Off brand P. sugar. I've never had any complaints. I do however only use Crisco shortening only.
Judy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:39pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by good36

I buy my cake mixes and powder sugar at "Dollar General" Both are $1.00 or less. Duncan Hines and Off brand P. sugar. I've never had any complaints. I do however only use Crisco shortening only.
Judy

I'm with ya, there. I only use Crisco, but any powdered sugar brand works ok with me....whatever is on the shelve above the cheapest price tag label. My Walmart has Betty Crocker cake mixes for $0.93 every day. Duncan Hines can run a few cents cheaper.

tobycat Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 19

Really? I thought that C & H, etc. didn't - maybe it's just the ratio of corn starch -- I think the others have more. Or, maybe it's the fact that they use beet sugar?

I'm so ignorant about this!

Sarah

Loucinda Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #19 of 19

You're not ignorant! I figured it out years ago when I tried to make kool-aid with it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%