Recipes..check This Out!

Baking By blittle6 Updated 3 Jan 2006 , 4:44am by mami2sweeties

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 53

Hi every1!!

Sarah Phillips from Baking911 has decided to post her highly rated Ultimate Butter Cake Recipe!!!

Berta

52 replies
Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 53

Thanks for letting us know.
icon_biggrin.gif

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 12:34am
post #3 of 53

Congrats Berta!! I think that it is wonderful to have your variation recipes on the 911 site!! icon_biggrin.gif Your cake looks awesome!!! Can't wait to give them a try! thumbs_up.gif They all sound so yummy I don't know where to start!!

Big hugs, ~Denise

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 12:45am
post #4 of 53

Thank you! I have saved that site to my favorites!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 12:45am
post #5 of 53

Thanks for the heads up and congratulations on getting your variations up onto the site. I love that site too for recipes!

blittle6 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 1:25am
post #6 of 53

I just submitted an Egg Nog variation in it is DELICIOUS!! She will have it up soon. I can't speak for the other recipes there, but those are the recipes I use on my cakes and I get wonderful feedback on them. I would love to hear from you guys if you try them! Sarah is a wonderful lady and she is very helpful.

Berta

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 1:50am
post #7 of 53

Hi Berta

Just wondering if you only use 9 inch pans for this recipe or have you made it in a 9x13. Dd's birthday is coming up and I was thinking of using this recipe but she wants a "rectangle" cake and ONLY a "rectangle" cake-she's turning 6 and has definite ideas of what is okay and what isn't.

Sandra

blittle6 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 1:52am
post #8 of 53

I have made it in 8x3 pans, cupcakes, and a rectangle pan....the Texas Tech Cake in my pictures is made with the butter cake recipe.

Berta

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 4:11am
post #9 of 53

Well, I am an idiot, I somehow didn't get the part where you said she posted your variations to the recipes. Kudos to you and thanks for sharing those variations with everyone.

Hugs Squirrelly

blittle6 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 10:18am
post #10 of 53

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone enjoys them! Let me know if you try them out!

Berta

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 11:42am
post #11 of 53

Thanks and I can't wait to try these recipes.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 12:19pm
post #12 of 53

Did you say an eggnog variation?? YUMm I'll be trying that one out.

blittle6 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 12:26pm
post #13 of 53

It is Yummy!!!!!!

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 53

Wow, they all sound delish. Can't wait to try them.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 3:09pm
post #15 of 53

That is wonderful! The strawberry and pistachio look soooo good! She even gave you your own questions thread!

You'll be so busy that you won't have any more time to bake! icon_biggrin.gif

blittle6 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 4:32pm
post #16 of 53

I hope everyone enjoys them! I don't know how many questions there will be but I'm ready...I think!! Ha Ha!!

I will email her today to get her to add this tip on the pistachio....Add in 1/2 - 1 Cup Chopped pistachio nuts into batter if you like....It is really good that way as well.

Berta

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 4:41pm
post #17 of 53

Yum!!! thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

blittle6 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 4:44pm
post #18 of 53

U R Welcome!! Please post your results and opinions!

Berta

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 1 Dec 2005 , 2:53am
post #19 of 53

That's great Berta! Your variations sound yummy and I can't wait to try them out! icon_biggrin.gif

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 12:57pm
post #20 of 53

Hi Berta,

I tried the Ultimate buttercake in the original version and your strawberry version. the cake was yummy and very moist. great for so many combinations! thank you for sharing!

can I ask you whether this buttercake is ok for tiered cakes? (whether it be for wedding cakes or tiered birthday cakes) Or is it too soft even with the boards and doweling?

if i need a 6" cake (end resullt being 3" high with thin buttercream filling- 3 layers) do you think half the receipe is sufficient?

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

blittle6 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 1:31pm
post #21 of 53

Hi!

I am so glad you like the recipes!! They are really good cakes.

I think it will be fine for a tiered cake. I would freeze it first then thaw it before use. This will make it a bit more sturdy for you. I have used it in stacked cakes, and had no problems. They are also a bit firmer after a day...they are very tender when first baked thats why I freeze them before torting.

I thnk half the recipe will be fine for a 6 inch cake. When I use my 6x3 pans to bake this cake I get three pans worth of batter. If you wanted, you could make the entire recipe, bake it and freeze what you have left. It is still really good and fresh tasting when you thaw it.

Thank you for letting me know you made them and giving me your feedback! I love hearing about how things turn out for people!

Let me know if I can be of more help!

Berta

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 53

Berta...these recipes sound wonderful!!

Would you mind sharing the eggnog recipe with us a bit early?
I have a christmas party for this saturday and would LOVE to make this cake. I would like to work on it tonight, if it is at all possible.

Also, for the yellow cake....how many times would you have to multiply the recipe to get a 16 inch round cake in a 2 inch pan? Does the cake rise up fairly well?
(I love cooking from scratch and would love to try this!!)

Thanks so much! Ellen

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 2:10pm
post #23 of 53

oops...never mind about the egg nog...it's up on the site!

blittle6 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:34pm
post #24 of 53

Hi Ellen,

Let me say I love that eggnog cake and it makes great cake balls 2!!!

The recipes make 2 8x3 inch cakes for me. They rise pretty good....they are close to the top on those pans.

I think for a 16x2 pan I would make double. I have never made one that big though...You are gonna love it I am sure.

Let me know how it turns out!

Berta

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:44pm
post #25 of 53

I've used this recipe and it's really really good, but it did not stand up to freezing very well. I'm glad I just served it to family, but it was a bit on the dry side when I served it. I guess you don't have any problems with it, Berta?

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:47pm
post #26 of 53

Berta i made the ultimate butter cake in eggnog version and it was so good. Thank you for all the varations that you posted.

AShiana

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 3:47pm
post #27 of 53

Oh yeah, I baked this in 2 8x2" pans & 1 6x2" (for tasting icon_biggrin.gif )

Also, just consulted the handy-dandy cake matrix, which says you need 10 1/2 c batter for 2 9" layers and 30 c for 2 16" layers, so you'd need to triple the recipe, Ellen.

blittle6 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 4:00pm
post #28 of 53

Hi,

AShiana...I am so glad you like it! I really enjoy it too.

Alimonkey....I have never had it be dry for me, and I freeze them everytime. They are always so good....hmmm I wonder if since I bake them in deeper pans that would make them moister since you have more cake and less crust. Idk I am always sure to freeze them because that has made them moister for me and makes them easier to torte. Does any1 else have any ideas?

Berta

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 4:15pm
post #29 of 53

Berta,
I'm going to make your eggnog cake tomorrow, but now I'm a little confused, lol.

I'm confused about the freezing part. Is this right...
1) bake cake
2) freeze
3) thaw
4) torte / crumb coat
5) frost/decorate

or do I cut and torte while the cake is still frozen but allow to thaw completely before crumb coating, frosting and decorating?

Also, I will be using a cake ring instead of a cake pan, does that matter?

Thanks so much for your recipes! I can't wait to try them all!!!!

blittle6 Posted 15 Dec 2005 , 5:51pm
post #30 of 53

Hi,

I've never used a cake ring, but it shouldn't be a problem. I cut the cake while it is thawed but still cold.....and you have the steps right in your post! You weren't as confused as you thought!! Just be sure that your cakes are pretty cool when you pop them in the freezer. Try not to handle them too much while they are warm. The are a bit delicate then.

I'll be waiting for your results!!

Berta

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%