Way Ot...teacher Gifts??

Lounge By llee815 Updated 25 Nov 2005 , 1:15am by llee815

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 48

I know this is OT but can you guys please give me some ideas on what to give my DD preschool teachers for Christmas. Last year, my daughter painted a mug for each of them. I then included a package of homemade hot cocoa, a candy cane, a Satin Hands and Body Buffing Cream from Mary Kay (I'm a consultant), and a loofah. It was all packaged in a clear tote bag (Mary Kay bag).

I want my DD to make something handmade again, but I can't really think of anything that she could make that would be long-lasting. PLEASE HELP ME!! Thanks everyone!!

47 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 48

I don't know about the handmade thing, but I give decorative cookie cutters for various holidays. Valentines day I give the teachers heart-shapes, etc....You can package them very nicely...

They always love them!

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 48

I'm not good at the hand-made craft things - I don't have a whole lot of patience with that. But last year I made strawberry bread and chess squares to give to my kids' 4 teachers.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 48

My friend and her mom are both teachers and they say food gifts are the best.
Maybe your daughter could paint a plate and then you guys could make cookies or brownies and then wrap them with decorated cellophane and a bow?
Maybe instead of a plate you guys could get baskets and your daughter could decorate it? Maybe put cookies, a yummy smelling candle, hot chocolate, etc.
My daughter and I made a basket for her kindergarden teacher a few years ago and put a little pumpkin roll, a school picture of her in a little frame, a candle & some cookies. She loved it.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head....hope this helps

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 48

Maybe have her hand paint an ornament? And put it in with whatever nice things you want to give her? I kinda took it that the handmade gift from daughter is the MAIN concern. Or make a gift basket and let DD decorate it with lace and ribbons etc? Or if you did want to give cookie cutters in a sort of baking theme..get some of the paint for cloth and let her design a potholder to go with?

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 48

OH..I love ge's ideas too!

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 48

The best teacher gift I ever got was a big delicious bag of peanutty homemade carmel corn in a pretty bag.....yum!!

ge978 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 48

I love the painted ornament idea, Kayday!That would be something thats long-lasting. I'm itching to do a basket now. Maybe I should get through Thanksgiving first icon_lol.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 48

I have a seriously easy recipe for White Chocolate Popcorn that is a HUGE hit if you want it. Lemme know.

For Kailey's teacher, instead of a food gift, I went with stationery. I got her various sized pads of personalized stationery from Lillian Vernon. She is always writing me notes on whatever scrap paper she has, so I thought it would be helpful to her.

Lisa

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 48

A couple of years ago my (former now) sister-in-law made us all ornaments. She took the clear glass ones that you can get at Hobby Lobby and put drips of different colors of pain in them, put the top back on and then shook them. We still have them (although we don't let my brother see them) and they are beautiful. After shaking, take the top off and set them somewhere (preferably upside down) and let them dry. Very easy and your daughter would have a lot of fun doing them.

You can tie a ribbon around the top after you put it back on.

llee815 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 48

Thanks for all the ideas! I love them all!! I knew I could count on you guys!! I'll probably incorporate something for all your suggestions, they're all so good!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 48

Lisa! I am in need of an easy pass around snack for grown ups. Can you please post or pm me the white choc popcorn recipe? Thanks!

The ornament idea sounds like a winner. I have the 5yr old answer to Martha S. I think the little diva will give everyone handmade ornaments this year. Thanks, again. You ladies are so helpful!

Back to preparing for Turkey Day.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 48

your popcorn sounds sooooo good, could i have the recipe too??????? please???????? i would love to make it for a thanksgiving snack!!!!!
just pm me.
thanks so much!!!!! my mouth is watering as i type this.....
melody

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 48

i have made chocolate dipped fortune cookies, put them in a chinese take out box, with a tag that reads.... It is my great fortune to have you for a teacher.

llee815 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyEdzards

i have made chocolate dipped fortune cookies, put them in a chinese take out box, with a tag that reads.... It is my great fortune to have you for a teacher.

That's such a cute idea!! Do you make your own fortune cookies or do you buy them and insert your own fortune? I have a recipe for fortune cookies somewhere that I've been wanting to try. Maybe I'll make a bigger fortune cookie, maybe about 4-6" long with one of those teacher appreciate poems or something! Thanks so much for the idea!! I love it!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:32pm
post #16 of 48

Please check the "Recipe Requests" section of the forums to get the recipe for White Chocolate Popcorn. I posted it here in General but it got moved. Should have just done it over there in the first place, I guess.

Lisa

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:43pm
post #17 of 48

Have any of you baked and decorated a cake as a x-mas present for the teacher? I wonder if that would be appropriate.
Emi

llee815 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:44pm
post #18 of 48

Thank you!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 12:53pm
post #19 of 48

The teacher might not have use for an entire cake. How about a 6in cake?

ge978 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 1:51pm
post #20 of 48

Maybe instead of baking a cake you could give a gift certificate for one of your cakes?

[/quote]

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:25pm
post #21 of 48

Wow, these are all such creative ideas.

I know my preschooler and Kindergartener's teachers love muffins to eat through the day. Something quick they can pop in their mouths between projects.
I like the gift certificate for a cake (ge978
) idea but what about making it more specific to a gift certificate for 16 holiday (or occassion) cupcakes. (the number corresponding to the class size) She/He will know that come Valentine's Day, Easter, Last day of school, etc. they can order something through you.

Just a thought.

kos

P.S. Oh, and my two girlfriends who teach middle school say, "ABSOLUTELY NO APPLES!" They get bombared with apple everything they said.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:38pm
post #22 of 48

I totally agree NO APPLES!!!! My step-mom is a teacher and she is so sick of apples!! My plan this year for my daughter's K-5 teachers is to give them hot chocolate. I make my own homemade recipe that's really yummy. I found some glass jars at Garden Ridge for like $.80 each. They're shaped like snowmen and have the top with the rubber ring so it seals. The lid is the snowman's hat, so I plan to pop off the rubber ring and put mini marshmallows in it. It's clear glass, so I'll let my daughter paint the outside (she loves to paint). I got enough of these for school, Sunday School, children's choir and AWANA teachers. I always buy a ton of ornaments after Christmas at like 80% off, so I'll package up the snowmen with an ornament.

ge978 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:38pm
post #23 of 48

Kos - My teacher friend says the same about apples icon_lol.gif I like the idea of the gift certificate corresponding with the class size. I might have to use that one.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:47pm
post #24 of 48

Note to self:
1) Garden Ridge... jars shaped like snowmen. icon_eek.gif

Now that is a cool.
Thanks for the tip MsTonyasCakes!

kos

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:49pm
post #25 of 48

this year I'm gonna do the wilton stacked cookie tree for all the teachers .... I figured they can even display it in their homes

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-11161-.html

take a look at this link page down a little [/img]

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:50pm
post #26 of 48

MsTonyasCakes
I would love to get a copy of your hot chocolate recipe .. can you share with us? please????

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:52pm
post #27 of 48

WOW, these are all awesome ideas! Now I'm having a hard time deciding which idea to use! LOL My DD has 3 teachers in her room (very big preschool class, 18 kids) so I could do 3 different ideas I guess. I'm liking the hot cocoa in a jar and ornament ideas a lot. icon_smile.gif Before reading this thread I was thinking about getting each of the teachers a CD of really relaxing music. ha ha!! I know I would need that and a bottle of wine after spending a day with that many preschoolers. LOL

I wonder if Michael's or Hobby Lobby would have those snowman jars... icon_razz.gif

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 3:10pm
post #28 of 48

OK, here's my hot chocolate mix recipe:

1 large (makes 8 qt) box powdered milk
2 lb Nestle Quick
1 lb Powdered sugar
1 1/2 C Coffee Mate

Sift, sift, sift, sift!! Add 3 TBSP of mix per cup hot water.

This is so yummy, I don't use marshmallows most of the time, but you can add if you like!! Kind of pricey to make, but goes a long way!

llee815 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 3:59pm
post #29 of 48

I really love all these ideas! I'm glad I asked for help.

I have another question. My DD's teacher just got engaged. Is there anything I should do for that? When she announced it, I made her a card. Is there something else I should do? Thanks.

ge978 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 4:06pm
post #30 of 48

llee815: Yeah...ask her when she wants you to do the wedding cake icon_lol.gif just kidding. I'm not sure, maybe a small cake with congratulations on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%