Extension Work, Stringwork

Decorating By Birdlady Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 1:04pm by Steady2Hands

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:06am
post #1 of 8

Hi All

Is there anyone out there proficient in stringwork. There is something that I am looking to do, but not sure how

I wanted to have two pieces of fonatand strips. I will periodically have seperators. In between these I wanted to have vertical string work. Very fine. Can this be done? Am I making myself clear.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Dawn

7 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:11am
post #2 of 8

I'm sure it can be done. The difficulty will be in the length of the strings. Longer strings are really tough.

It sounds like a really pretty cake. Will I be judging it in McKinney? icon_smile.gif

Michele

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:15am
post #3 of 8

LOL. NO, can't get it done that quick. Possibly another competition or dummy for me to try.

Can you help me out if you have any ideas. Would you pipe them between once the pieces are set up or pipe them and try to place. I can't quite figure it out. I have two ideas on a couple of cakes but can't decide if I can handle it or not.

Dawn

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:24am
post #4 of 8

The strings will have to be piped directly on the cake. All of your other side designs will have to be completely dry before you start the strings. If you are new at this, you probably should practice with a tip #1. It will be large and not show quality, but doing a small practice cake will be a good idea. Starting with a double 0 will make you crazy.

Michele

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 9:13am
post #5 of 8

I, too, am very interested in learning extension work. I have a #1 tip, so I'll start with that like what was suggested. I also have a Wilton #1010, at least that's what is stamped on it. It looks like spider web silk, LOL. I also have a 00L. Between a bad back and work, I haven't had time to really try anything yet. Can't find any tutorials on this subject anywhere. The Toba Garrett book I just got has some pretty detailed pictures and instructions, though. The book is "The Well Decorated Cake". I absolutely love it. I love that elegant pretty look. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of Collette Peter's fondant cakes and have all but one of her books.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 8

One of the Wilton books says to start with a very stiff (buttercream) icing and thin it with corn syrup. That helped me tremendously. Now I just have to learn to make them so even icon_twisted.gif .

Crystal914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal914 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:41am
post #7 of 8

A CC member (cocobino) posting some information on how she did the stringwork that i'm trying to find, but with no luck. Can anyone help me locate this post.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%