Want To Make My Own Moldable Fondant

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 20 Nov 2005 , 5:43am by chyna

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 9

I would like to try making some colored fondant to make characters, flowers, etc. I find the prices of premade fondant outragious and it just doesn't taste that great!

It is probably posted somewhere, but does anyone have a recipe for colored fondant, that you can mold with your hands, etc?

Thanks!

icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 9

Try this article....it's a great alternative to buying that yucky stuff off the shelf. Works great....

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html?osCsid=0a67f05d8be565f208a030196e1736aa

Good luck!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 9

I can't put my hands on it at the moment, but Food TV has one, Rolling Fondant-Jacques Torres. I found it easy to make, great to work with and tasty, too.

JoAnn

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 9

I felt the same, about the cost of the ready to use fondant. I went to the website that lilscakes suggested, and checked out the recipe it's great! I've seen some other ones, but most of them I thought involved to much, like buying glycerin and such, but this recipe is just as easy as making the buttercream icing, the same ingredients almost, except the marshmallows. I can't wait to try it out now!! thumbs_up.gif Gale

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, I saw the Marshmellow recipe..can you dye it? (It does look pretty easy!)

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 9

you should be able to just knead in the coloring, same as with the ready to use fondant. I use the same coloring that I use in my buttercream icings.

chyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyna Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 9

making regular fondant (with the glycerine and gelatin) is no harder than making a cake...and I prefer it to the MMF for texture. Check the recipe section here - I think that's where mine is from

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 3:50am
post #8 of 9

loriemoms said

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I saw the Marshmellow recipe..can you dye it? (It does look pretty easy!)

chyna said

Quote:
Quote:

you should be able to just knead in the coloring, same as with the ready to use fondant.

Yes you can color it. It is as easy as kneading in the color. I would use Americolor. You get a much better color and you don't have to use as much as Wilton.

It is so easy to make that I made 3 batches within 30 minutes this afternoon.

chyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyna Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 5:43am
post #9 of 9

you can definately color it, though it wasn't me that said the quote above! icon_smile.gif

Anyone know if there is an Americolor distributer in Canada?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%