I Cant Color My Fondant Bows Correctly

Decorating By kika Updated 15 Sep 2004 , 1:00pm by Zabrip

kika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kika Posted 6 Aug 2004 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 10

i finally got my bows to stay, now when i tried painting them with luster dust silver, and a few drops of clear vanilla extract the color turned out pretty ugly, is there anything i can do to get them a dark silver or any other product i can use, i want the color to be like the color on the bow on this website, please help!!!! thank you kika

9 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 6 Aug 2004 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 10

I dont know how your doing this but this is what I do and it seems to work for me...

I got a shot glass and I put some Vodka in it and then I dip my brush in to the glass and then on a paper plate I have dumped out a bit of the dust and then I take the brush and go to the plate and work from there with it .. I know you said that your using Vanilla that should be fine in place of the Vodka.. I just know that Vodka drys quicker...

kika Posted 7 Aug 2004 , 2:58am
post #3 of 10

well i do the same thing but i would like to get a darker color, the luster dust doesnt seem to give a very dark color, im using silver, is there some sort of metallic or shiny silver i can buy that will resemble the color of the fondant bow on this website? thank you ladycakes
kika icon_smile.gif

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 7 Aug 2004 , 3:07am
post #4 of 10

You could try adding just the tiniest amount of black to your alcohol, or vanila. I'm talking pin head tiny icon_smile.gif That would darken it up for you with out turning it too dark. Experiment with a little bit at a time. To get just the right shade you are looking for.

let us know how they turn out! thumbs_up.gif

kika Posted 7 Aug 2004 , 3:10am
post #5 of 10

thank you i will try that, but by adding black you mean black icing color right? thanks kika

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 7 Aug 2004 , 3:14am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kika

thank you i will try that, but by adding black you mean black icing color right? thanks kika

Yes, Any black food coloring.

kika Posted 7 Aug 2004 , 3:18am
post #7 of 10

thank you and ladycakes for your help, kika

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 7 Aug 2004 , 3:45am
post #8 of 10

Please let me know how that worked out for ya I have never heard of the adding of the black food coloring to the liquid to make it a darker item..

Cakebaker57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebaker57 Posted 14 Sep 2004 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 10

You might try the gold and silver ready mixed colors that Nick Lodge sells on his site. (I would sell the bows as a non-edible decoration in the first place just to be safe no matter how safe the metallics say they are, FYI)

Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 15 Sep 2004 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 10

When I want a dark silver color like that I first color my fondant and then accent it with the luster dust once my pieces are cut. I dont use just the luster dust to color it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%