Making Chocolate Leaves

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 21 Nov 2005 , 1:56am by gma1956

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 3:45am
post #1 of 11

Hey, I need help on Choc leaves.

I read something a little while back (I think it was on CC) about dipping artificial leaves into melted choc to make choc leaves, letting the choc dry then lightly hitting the choc on the table & the choc leaf will fall off. I would like to do several leaves for a Thanksgiving cake & paint them w/ luster dust. I don't remember who gave that tip. So please help me find it or please post it again. Thanks very much!! icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 3:48am
post #2 of 11

I've taken (clean) artificial leaves and 'painted' chocolate thickly on one side of them, let them dry and peeled off the leaf. You can drape them over cans or other stuff to get natural shapes as well.

Hope this is helpful!

tcturtleshell Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 3:52am
post #3 of 11

Ohhhh Thanks Steph!!!! That helps me a lot!!!
So just paint one side w/ choc & then peel when dry? COOL!! I can get all kinds of shapes laying them over on things to dry! Great idea!!! My mind isn't working today! Thanks for helping!!

Any other ideas are greatly welcome~

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 3:59am
post #4 of 11

No prob! You've helped me SO MUCH, it's nice to be able to give a little bitty bit in return icon_wink.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 4:07am
post #5 of 11

I'm just starting to play w/ choc melts & painting them, it's really fun~ I took a small class (2 hrs) a few weeks ago. There is so much to do w/ Choc! I just bought the horseshoe choc molds. Love em'! I can't wait to make my dad's bday cake & add the horseshoe to it!! His bday is in Dec.~

Oh... I always need helllllllllllp!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

jss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jss Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 11

been watching food tv...using candy choc melts looks easy...
do you just melt chocolate in microwave...place in parchment bag...begin outlining...

or is there more to it...thanks...
oh, where'd you take the two hr class...

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 11

I made some out of MMF-anyway I read somewhere, maybe cakes by George??, to crumple up paper or foil to dry them on so they don't dry flat. I crumpled up paper and put it in a 9 x 13 and layed my leafs on it. Same idea would work for the choc. I think.

tcturtleshell Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:43am
post #8 of 11

I melt the choco in bowls or in squeeze bottles in the microwave. I also use paint brushes. That helps a lot.

I have friends that own a cake supply store. That's where I go to classes. They have different kinds of classes all through the year. So much fun!

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:47am
post #9 of 11

you can pour melted chocolate onto a silk flower that has been covered in luster dust and it makes it alot easier to get it off the silk flower.

tcturtleshell Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:51am
post #10 of 11

Good idea! Thanks!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 1:56am
post #11 of 11

Check out the December issue of LIVING. She shows how to make a chocolate poinsettia. Really pretty. I can't wait to try it. I love working with chocolate too. I have had alot of fun doing it. I try to use chocolate in some form an most of my cakes. Some I just can't work it in. But most I do, either inside in the filling or on the outside with decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%