Does Costco Make Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By deester Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 11:16pm by Nikki_B

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 8

My friend has asked if I would be interested in making a small tiered wedding cake for the daughter of a lady at her church. She said they ordered the main wedding cake at Costco to cut and serve, but want a small teired cake for photos and cake cutting ceremony. ?? Do they make wedding cakes? or are they just regular decorated sheet cakes?

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 8

I believe Costco only makes sheet cakes and nothing tiered!!

Epi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Epi Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 8

Why would you buy a cake from costco? I am sure you have a great cake shop in your area that could do a wonderfull job on your cake needs. That cake at costco was made and frozen about 6 months ago I bet.

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 8

i think costco only do sheet cakes, i've never seen a tiered cake there.

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 8

From my understanding they are trying to save on wedding expenses - which is fine by me. I would happily make a small cake for them - it would be my first attempt at a wedding cake, so it may as well be a small one!

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 8

Have you told them that you'ld be happy to make them a small wedding cake? It would be great for you to make, good practise

committed2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
committed2cake Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:45pm
post #7 of 8

The costco here in Washington is baking fresh every day. Their cakes taste really good but are marginal on the decorating process.

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 8

A lot of people opt to have an inexpensive sheet cake made to feed the guests at events. It's growing quite popular for wedding cakes to be primarily a dummy cake with the top one or two layers the ACTUAL cake, and just cutting up the sheet cake in back to feed the guests.. and I can understand that.

All decorated cakes are edible works of art but they can be quite expensive. People want to throw nice parties and have money to pair for stuff besides just amazing food.. I don't think it's really an insult to a baker/chef though, it's just a customer trying to be frugal and get the most for their money.

All that aside it's generally better form to have the sheet cake and "show cake" be similar in regards to the type of cake (same recipe, etc), the frosting and decorations (kinda weird to see a show cake with ivory icing and pink rosettes and then get a slice of cake that's pure white with only some shells on it, heh!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%