Ot....who Is A Chicken Fryer????

Lounge By adven68 Updated 17 Nov 2005 , 7:26pm by Mchelle

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 24

Sorry...not about cakes...unless you want to count the nourishment I get in order to allow me to function and make those cakes.....

Anyway....I am frying chicken for the very first time!!! I usually saute, bake, roast, etc....

I remember reading somewhere that you fry and then put in the oven?

Ok, all my southern chefs....let this Yankee know your secrets!!!

23 replies
alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 24

I dont do that

I take flour, salt and uncle chris's seasoning and put them in a bowl together.

then beat about six eggs in another bowl

take the skin off the chicken unless you have bought skinless chicken

then dip the chicken in the eggs then in the flour mixture and then into a frying pan with heated veggi oil.

fry till a golden brown.

mmmmmmm im hungry

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 24

Alright NYC icon_smile.gif -here goes! This is the what I do when I fry my chicken: Season my chicken with salt, pepper and I like to use a little garlic powder then put several big spoonfuls of flour in an airtight container, flip flop the chicken just to get some of the flour to stick and then put the lid on and shake. Then leave it in the fridge for 15 min. Get your oil maybe med-hi. when it's hot, put your chicken in and don't move it for a few minutes (that way your coating will stick) then give it a flip, same thing don't move it. I usually have to give it a couple more flips and can tell it's done when the thickest part feels firm. It does take practice but once you get it down...yum. I usually use boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Enjoy!!!

dori

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:01am
post #4 of 24

Okay, VA style;

I season with salt, pepper, lemon/pepper and let set for about five minutes. Then take House Autry chicken flour and coat the pieces really well and then deep fry...hummmmm lip-smacking good.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:05am
post #5 of 24

I heard a rumor...just wanted to clear it up...

ok, i heard it was healthier to deep fry instead of pan fry b/c when u deep fry none less of the oil gets absorbed by whatever it is that you are frying...

Has anyone heard of this??

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:35am
post #6 of 24

I marinate my chicken in lime juice(real limes not the bottle stuff) and salt for about an hour (Place chicken joints side down).

While that's in the fridge I season my flour with salt and pepper (lots), poultry seasoning, paprika (gives the chicke A nice colour), garlic powder, and A dash of seasoning salt, onion powder, ground thyme, ground sage (sometimes a dash of majoram). This same mixture of spices I set aside To coat my chicken.

At the end of the hour, I remove The chicken and rinse. Then drain to remove most of the water. Leave it slightly damp so the herbs and spiced will attach to it. Dump the spice mixture in the bowl and massage all the chicken until coated.

To Fry either use a deep fryer or a deep pan. It's important that The oil is hot. If it's not up to the correct temperature the chicken will absorb the oil and be greasy. I dont know The correct temperature I just know how I have Seen my Grandma test it and how I test it. Here's two ways that work. Put a pinch of the flour in the pan. If it bubbles vigorously it's ready to go. If it's a lazy bubble the oil is too cool. Here's my grandma's Way (Im too scared to do this one) she drops one drop of water on the oil. If it sizzles the oil is ready.

I will have To look up the correct temperature And get back to you with that.

Back to the chicken. Once the chicken has all The spices and herbs massaged on them. Dredge them in the seasoned flour and place in the oil.

Do not over crowd the pan. Each addition lowers the temperature of the oil and this will cause the chicken to be soggy if you make the pan to crowded.

I hope this makes sense.... LOL...

If you are using boneless chicken breast marinating time and cooking time will be lower. With This marinade u need to check the chicken too. The acid will actually start To Cook The chicken (it will look whitish) but it gives it a nice flavour and takes away the rawness associated with chicken. Chicken is done when they juices run clear.

Princess

P.S. do you have a gas or electric stove?

Edit: I forgot that you can prepare the chicken a day in advance. Marinate it then season it and leave it in the fridge in a covered glass bowl. It will be Ready when you need to start frying.

Edit #2 : I Am scatter brain... LOL..

I forgot To mention. I have t-fal pots that I make my chicken in. And I cover them with a lid. I find they it makes for a moist piece of Chicken. Be careful removing The lid.

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:46am
post #7 of 24

Oh my gosh Cake Princess - that chicken sounds delicious! I've never heard of it being done that way. I don't hardly ever fry chicken, but may have to try it done this way!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:46am
post #8 of 24

Correct temp for both pan-frying & deep frying is 350, same as cakes!

I have an old electric stove that has buttons, not a dial, so I always (now) use a thermometer when I'm frying. I get a much better result that way. I dredge mine in seasoned flour, then egg then flour again, and I usually let the oil get up to about 365 or 370, cuz it will drop quite a bit when you put the chicken in. I fry for probably about 5-7 minutes on each side, then put on a cooling rack over a jelly roll pan and put in the oven at 275-300 to keep warm (and finish cooking just in case it's not done).

One other thing I do is cut the breast into 2 pieces, since it's so thick at one end the skinny end will dry out by the time the fat end is cooked through.

BklynSuze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BklynSuze Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:50am
post #9 of 24

Hey Adven..Here's what I do...I usually season my breadcrumbs with onion powder, garlic powder, adobo and the all time favorite- sazon (sazon adds the best flavor to everything LOL) I also don't use eggs..I simply wash the chicken off and bread it..believe it or not it sticks without the eggs. If I'm making cutlets I pan fry and if making bigger pieces or legs I deep fry (legs usually take about 30 minutes in the deep fryer for me)

Fairy- I had heard that also..I think because often times when you pan fry the oil won't get as hot as deep fry so sometimes takes some time before the chicken gets sizzling. so in turn absorbs more of the oil
I made a crispy chicken in the oven once that came out pretty tasty..had the breaded crunch that frying gives you but minus the dripping oily aspect..I can look up the breading recipe if anyone wants it

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:55am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefairy18

ok, i heard it was healthier to deep fry instead of pan fry b/c when u deep fry none less of the oil gets absorbed by whatever it is that you are frying...

Sorta-Kinda...lol. What I was taught: to blanche (sp?) the food in the hot oil for just a couple of minutes...take it out...place on paper towels & let dry....then back in the oil to finish cooking. I do this when I make homemade fries or something along those lines. Supposedly the blanching "seals" the food, so that the 2nd time around in the oil it doesn't seem to absorb as much. I know that my fries don't come out tasting near as greasy as if I don't do it that way.

Fried Chicken, the way my Ma Maw taught me:

Put the chicken in a big bowl and cover it with milk....add a lot of garlic powder....then some lemon pepper (all to taste). Marinate it overnight if you can, otherwise at least an hour or two.

Take it out of the fridge and let it drain in a colander....while it's draining, season your flour (AP flour) with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, touch of cayenne. You can go heavy on the salt since your frying it, some of it will cook out.

Fill a big ziploc with your seasoned flour, or paper bag (that's what I use when I have them on hand). Throw your chicken in, as much as will fit in the bag with enough room for it to move around while shaking. Then close it up and shake to coat the chicken. I also keep a small bowl of the seasoned flour on hand to roll the chicken in if it doesn't get coated well in the bag.

Then I fry it until I have the desired golden-brown color...I don't like mine to get real dark. Plus the longer it's in the oil, the more oil it absorbs. As you might've noticed...no one mentioned a temp. for the oil...lol. Most southern cooks just get it "really hot" and throw it in....the testing methods that CakePrincess mentioned are what I do too...both the flour & the water methods. I generally have the oil at a med. high temp., leaning more towards high, because it cools down dramatically & rather quickly once you add the chicken to it...and you don't want it to cool too much or your chicken will get loaded with grease & it'll take forever to cook!

Once it's the color I want, I take it off & put it on a big ceramic serving platter that I have and put it in the oven which is set at 325 degrees or so. It will cook it the rest of the way in the oven and stay crisp. Once it's done, I just turn it down to low to keep it warm. Plus, if I need to finish the other components of the meal, I can do it without constantly having to check on the chicken in the oil.

Let us know how yours turns out.... thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 2:44am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyterrell

Oh my gosh Cake Princess - that chicken sounds delicious! I've never heard of it being done that way. I don't hardly ever fry chicken, but may have to try it done this way!

That's The way we make it in the Caribbean.

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 2:47am
post #12 of 24

It just sounds awsome, and I'm sure it tastes that way too! Thanks for posting your recipe!

Cake_Princess Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 2:56am
post #13 of 24

I know different oils have different smoke points. This is basically The temperature that they start to break down and smoke. Olive Oil for instance has a low smoke point. It's not good for frying.

I have been looking and I Am finding various temperatures. 375 F for vegetable oil. 365 F of Crisco.

I never worry about these temperatures because frying is something I have Seen and done so many times I can do it in My Sleep but I wanted to let you know because you are not familiar with it.

stephanie214 Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 3:08am
post #14 of 24
Quote:

It is true, plus you don't have to turn it and to me, it's more crispier.

Cake_Princess Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 3:27am
post #15 of 24
Quote:

It does not necessarily has to be deep fried to be healthy. As long as you are not cooking it in oil that's too cool. If you are, the chicken (or what ever you fry) will absorb the oil. So if you sent your deep fry on a temp that's too low the same thing will happen.

Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 3:29am
post #16 of 24

Hello, adven68. The way I do my chicken is this: in a food processor or blender, I put some fresh garlic, add some olive oil, ground oregano, fresh lime or lemon juice, cooking wine, black pepper and salt to taste, season and let marinate for about 1 hour or two in refrigerator. When is ready to fry, I take some eggs, season them, also some flour, seasoned with pepper and garlic powder, and straight to the deep fryer, for about 18 to 20 minutes at a temperature of 350-356 degrees F.
Well, hope this can help. icon_biggrin.gif
Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif
Sory.

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:05am
post #17 of 24

I don't fry my chicken in any flour. I marinade chicken breasts with crushed garlic and pepper and soy sauce. Heat some oil in the frypan and fry it! Mmmmmm. Yum!

Sory Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:32am
post #18 of 24

Taking the chicken and covering with egg and flour, is to make crispy. And I deep fry, it`s better that way. It comes out nice.
Bye!

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:47am
post #19 of 24

Sory, can I come to your house for dinner??
thumbs_up.gif

I usually soke mine overnight in butermilk. My mom taught me this. It's so you don't see the red gross loooking parts of the chicken by the bone.
Then I season my flour with Garlic powder, seasoning salt, pepper, chayenne pepper and sometimes a little spike.
On Top Secret recipes website they has KFC's recipe.
I wanted to try it. But haven't since I don't have the girlish figure I once had before my kids icon_cry.gif LOL
Michelle

Sory Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 8:43am
post #20 of 24

Yes, buttermilk also helps to keep the chicken very tender and retain the juices. Sure, you can come to my house, I love cooking for other people. thumbs_up.gif
Bye!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 12:54pm
post #21 of 24

I couldnt for the life of me make good fried chicken even doing everything I read here. then I found some chicken breading at the store and started to use that and OMG it's great, and I don't have to go to Popeyes chicken or Boston Market for good chicken.....I'll admit I can't cook really....bake yes for sure, but cooking? Nah! maybe it's because I hate to cook but love to bake.

stephanie214 Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 1:37pm
post #22 of 24

flay,

How far are you from VA Beach/Norfolk area?

Cake_Princess Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 5:24pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbysYummys

Sory, can I come to your house for dinner??
thumbs_up.gif

I usually soke mine overnight in butermilk. My mom taught me this. It's so you don't see the red gross loooking parts of the chicken by the bone.
Then I season my flour with Garlic powder, seasoning salt, pepper, chayenne pepper and sometimes a little spike.
On Top Secret recipes website they has KFC's recipe.
I wanted to try it. But haven't since I don't have the girlish figure I once had before my kids icon_cry.gif LOL
Michelle

The acid in the buttermilk breaks down some of the proteins in the chicken. Much the same way lime juice will. This results in a tender chicken.

Princess

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:26pm
post #24 of 24

Yankee here, now Southern

I clean and season the chicken (pepper, season salt), I also season the flour (salt and pepper) Toss it all in a plastic bag. I use a deep cast iron skillet. Tap the chicken on a plate to remove excess flour and fry. When the chicken floats it's done, you may need to turn it at the end to brown even, depending on how deep your pan is, mine is the like the skillet, but 3x the depth. Hope this helps

BTW- Is there Macaroni and Cheese with that icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%