Is $30 A Reasonable Price For An 8" Round Choc. Cake?

Business By Lenette Updated 20 Nov 2005 , 3:53am by izzybee

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:10am
post #1 of 8

If you think it is too high what would you charge? The customer said ok. I make everything from scratch and with the price of ingredients I'm getting frustrated with not having much after buying everything. Just want you all's 2 cents. Thanks!!

7 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:23am
post #2 of 8

That sounds reasonable to me. Just raised my prices at the beginning of October. Some balk at it, others don't. Where are you located? I had someone call me this A.M. for a cake today. I have a full-tme job and this is done after work, so I had to turn her down. Explained that I needed 2 days notice.

For wedding cakes, I charge $1.50 per slice for simple BC and $2.00 per slice for more elaborate decorations. Fondant is more.

tinanh27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinanh27 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:29am
post #3 of 8

sounds good to me.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:32am
post #4 of 8

I think it really depends on what you do on the cake. I know I bought a simple mocha cake from a store for $20. It had coffee sponge cake and chocolate whipped cream. Nothing special about it, no big decorations- but I thought $20 was expensive for that cake.

I live in San Diego, so I understand that cost of living is higher here. If you do a good scratch cake with good decorations, then $30 should be good.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:42am
post #5 of 8

What are you filling the cake with? How many layers and what are you covering the cake with, choc bc or ganache?

That would all vary the price of the cake for me. Definately a minimum of $30 if you use ganache!

Amy

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:48am
post #6 of 8

I make a chocolate cake with chocolate chips and ganache icing and I don't think I'd take less than $30 for it just because the ingredients alone are costly and the cake/icing are time consuming. icon_smile.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:57am
post #7 of 8

Thank you for your input. I will stick to my price!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 3:53am
post #8 of 8

I think it depends on what your market will bear. Where I live, I charge $16 for a basic 2 layer cake with bc. A border and writing. I costed it out multiplied by 3 to come to that number. It seems like nothing and it isn't much, but no one where I live would pay $30 for a small cake. I charge extra for fondant and ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%