Holes In Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Skylar Updated 22 Apr 2005 , 12:13pm by Skylar

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 31 Mar 2005 , 2:13pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

when i did my last wedding cake i dipped my knife in very hot water and sprinkled it over the cake and smoothed it. boy was that cake as smooth as a baby's bottom. icon_biggrin.gif

sprinkle what the boiling water? just wondering.

Skylar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skylar Posted 2 Apr 2005 , 4:41pm
post #32 of 36

I tried Dawn's recipe, mixed the icing longer and still ended up with lots of holes. Most of them did smooth out with the hot water though. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. icon_sad.gif

Skylar Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:22pm
post #33 of 36

Please help!!! I have made several more attempts at buttercream icing and no matter what I try I still am getting lots of holes and I can't get them out even with a hot spatula. There must be something that I am doing wrong. I am using 1/2 crisco 1/2 Land O'Lakes butter recipe. The last time I mixed it longer than usual and still had the holes. I am so frustrated, please give any suggestions. icon_cry.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:37pm
post #34 of 36

The last few minutes of mixing, I turn my mixer on low and I think that cuts down on the bubbles. Also, just before using my icing, I take my rubber spatula and really work it in the icing in a figure eight motion, back and forth and turn my bowl/container...you will see that this REALLY pops those pesky little air bubbles!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Apr 2005 , 4:45pm
post #35 of 36

Sounds like air bubbles to me. Sometimes that can come from mixing it too much icon_sad.gif

Skylar Posted 22 Apr 2005 , 12:13pm
post #36 of 36

Thanks for responding. I usually keep my mixer on the lowest speed the whole time and I just mix long enough to get everything combined. Some of the posts said that they mix longer so I even tried that, but with no luck. I've tried the rubber spatula, but maybe I need to do that longer. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%