Second "official" Wedding Cake

Decorating By jscakes Updated 22 Mar 2005 , 1:41pm by m0use

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know I've posted the wedding cake that I had been working on. Was extremely nervous until the day of the wedding, it was strange, maybe because so far it has been my biggest challenge and I had the confidence and kept telling myself that I could do it! thumbs_up.gif MM fondant was great to work with until it came to the 14" layer, couldn't roll it out fast enough before it started stiffening up. Oh, I tried to cancel the upload so I could go back and put my name on the cake but it was too late. I used the pattern out of the Wilton book. On a sad note, the wedding was simple and very nice but right after the ceremony the father of the bride got ugly icon_mad.gif and ruined his daughter's wedding, totally. Our hearts went out to her as she never smiled after that, just cried and was extremely depressed.

16 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 17

I just checked out your cake.....it is absolutely gorgeous! Give yourself a huge pat on the back for that one!!! Can you guess about how much time was put into making that cake, including the flowers and all..just a rough guess? That is ashame about the FOB...hopefully all will be forgiven! thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 17

I saw your cake & it was beautiful!!!!! You did a wonderful job!!!! When I try MMF I will post questions to you!!!! After that cake you should know everything about MMF!! I asked on the cake post what you charged for the cake. Do you mind sharing? That cake was so professional!!!!!!!! You have a great future in front of you!!!!!!! I bet you get lots of wedding cake orders now!!!

Sorry to hear about the dad of the bride. That's so sad!!! Hopefully she will recover & see that the wedding was wonderful until the dad thing happened.

linnburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnburg Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 17

That is one fantabulously beautiful cake!

Last night I made a giant Easter egg cake covered with MM. The last time I tried MM, I was not terribly successful, but this time it turned out great! I used the bread hook on my Kitchenaid to knead the fondant as my hands are not too strong and this definitely helped the texture of the fondant as well as my anxiety level. I wish I could post pictures, but I'm just not "there" yet. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe I'd use MM for my daughter's wedding cake this June. Then I saw your cake and now I know for sure! Thanks for posting such a beautiful cake!

Sandi

Hey! I live in Tacoma, where do you live?

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 17

that was a beautiful cake..... it is ashame that dad got out of whack.... I guess he didnt like letting daddy's little girl go, and just had to make it easy on him, and didnt think of the pain it would have caused her.

jscakes Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you all very much for the kind words and support, I love this site! (even brought hubby in to show him!) I don't mind at all you asking anything, now I have to sit down and figure out the hours and will get back to you. Cost, it would have run upwords of $350 or more, I downsized it from the original pattern from serving 300 to 200. But, this deal was made last year with a good friend of mine. Budgets were tight and I offered to make her daughters cake if they supplied the ingredients, but not to tell too many about it. Hmmm, somehow I think they got the easy part of that deal! As far as the bride forgiving her father, I don't think so. It was ugly. My husband was hired to do DJ and Karaoke as that is what he does, the FOB attacked us verbally also and ordered us out of there also. We didn't go as this was for the bride, not him. Long story, ugly ending, and this bride being his only daughter and her special day. Now that I look at the initials for him, maybe I should change one??? icon_wink.gif Thank you all again so much, and I too have recieved plenty of help from this web site, so a big THANK YOU for all the help!!! icon_smile.gif

flayvurdfun Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 17

Oh my!!!! My heart goes out to her....as for you I am sure your cake made it a little better for her knowing not everything is UGLY!!!!
You did an awesome cake....how long have you been decorating?

jscakes Posted 20 Mar 2005 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 17

flayvurdfun, I've helped make a few cakes before and took the Wilton courses last summer, took off from there and I enjoy it immensely! (FOB was drunk-didn't help any and the whole issue was because x-wife, MOB- our friend , is seeing someone after 9 years). I am writing a note to the bride and let her know how beautiful the wedding itself was, and you're right, not everything was ugly.
Linnburg: I live in the Chehalis area, Hi Neighbor! I didn't think of using the dough hooks for kneading the fondant, thanks for that tip! I want to color it now, making my daughter's birthday cake this week and will use it.
tcturtleshell: Oh yeah, I know a little now of MMF, like don't nuke it too long...that stuff gets hot fast!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 1:21am
post #9 of 17

Seriously beautiful! You did a wonderful job. Too bad about the bride's father.

Lisa

tcturtleshell Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 4:27am
post #10 of 17

Jscakes you did a wonderful job! I'm so proud of you!! Email me w/ any tips you think I might need before the April wedding ok. Thanks!! I hope you took lots of pics of that cake! You should blow it up & frame it!! I think that's neat that your hubby dj's! You guys can make a killing doing weddings now!!!! Maybe you should think about decorating too! You did a great job decorating that cake w/ flowers! The future looks mighty good for you!!

jscakes Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 8:42am
post #11 of 17

Thanks llj68 & tcturtleshell! tc, I took what I could but am relying on my friend to give me some better quality copies of what she took. I'm not sure what tips you need for using the mm fondant...oh, I know one...get a nice fondant rolling pin! I used my old one-handled wooden rolling pin that used to be my grandmothers. It's great for pie dough but not fondant. Pie, I have been craving apple pie now for a bit so I may have to make one (I have the filling frozen & ready to use anytime)

tcturtleshell Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 9:37pm
post #12 of 17

jscakes~ apple pie sounds soooooo good!! I have the fondant rolling pin. I guess I will just have to try MMF & see how it goes then ask questions. I'm getting ahead of myself as usual!

jscakes Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 17

There you go tc! That's what I did, and I even questioned those of you on here that have worked with it for advice when working with it. 1. How much bigger do you have to roll it to cover what you want? 2. How do you get rid of the excess "flurls", or do they just work themselves in? 3. How thin do you roll it? Recieved some super tips and help from so many on this web site, I've already shared lots of the info with several ladies who want to work with it...and I also told them where I received the great help and gave them the web address to check this site out!
Probably won't make the pie just yet, hubby wants to try the ooey gooey cake recipe that was on here today! (like we need any of it!)

flayvurdfun Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 6:42am
post #14 of 17

I think I was told you roll the fondant out the measurements of the sides longer then you need... is that right? icon_rolleyes.gif Going to try mmf this week, and would like to know, and since I dont have a fondant smoother, I was told to use a cup or rolling pin.... the only rolling pin I have is the one Pampered Chef has.... thumbs_up.gif

jscakes Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 7:23am
post #15 of 17

Yes, that's what I did for measurement. If you can find something with no sharp edges and will glide smoothly over the fondant it should work.

flayvurdfun Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 8:08am
post #16 of 17

Thank you so very much! I feel a little more confident...heck I want to start making cakes....but the party isnt until Friday at school and I will start making the cakes thursday morning, decorate through the day (on and off, and a little on Friday morning so they will be as fresh as possible. I am making french vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry flavored cakes. Now the only thing I have to come up with is how I will be able to tell which egg is which flavor, hopefully without having to separate them.... icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 17

Decorate the different flavors with the same color for the same flavor cake, and then just make different designs on them.
Example:
All French Vanilla cakes could have ivory colored icing.
All Chocolate cakes could have chocolate buttercream.
All Strawberry flavored cakes have pink colored icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%