I Heard About A Sugar Covered Cake

Decorating By CindyW Updated 16 Feb 2007 , 5:24am by CarolAnn

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 1:36am
post #1 of 21

Cake covered in fondant, then sugar sprinkles on piping gel. No luck searching for photos?

20 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:00am
post #2 of 21

Here is one. It can be done with a fondant covered cake, or a buttercream cake. The cakes are lightly brushed with clear piping gel or clear corn syrup and then sprinkled with Crystal Sugar.
http://www.liweddings.com/chat/p/2439761_1.jpg

I'm just not sure about the eating quality. It seems to me it would be gritty, kind of like sand, and awfully sweet.

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:34am
post #3 of 21

I did one, last February just after herniating 2 disks in my back. I used clear piping jelly and turbinado sugar.
LL

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 21

Thanks Gals

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 21

Those cakes are wow just brilliant, I have never heard of that. Thanks for posting it

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 21

Those cakes are beautiful, but like ShirleyW, I don't think they would be very good to eat. I suppose if people take the fondant off anyway, you'd never know it was crusted with sugar. Flourgrl-that cake is gorgeous!!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourgrl

I did one, last February just after herniating 2 disks in my back. I used clear piping jelly and turbinado sugar.

What is turbinado sugar?

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 21

wow those cakes look so delicate just like crystal, what a great idea. It would be good to use colores sugar thumbs_up.gif

Wandy

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 21

That looks gorgeous... incredibly elegant! But I would second the 'peel off the fondant first' thing. I would think the texture as well as the sweet factor would be a little icky. But again... the look is amazing. I am so impressed by it!

flourgrl Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

Quote:

What is turbinado sugar?

Turbinado sugar, sold by the brand Sugar in the Raw among others, is a type of sugar cane extract. The name arises from the fact that it is often created in a process that involves being spun in a cylinder or turbine while being sprayed.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinado_sugar

flourgrl Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 21

I think the cake was very sweet, but the bride said everyone loved it.
It was white velvet vanilla cake, brown sugar buttercream, fondant, and the turbinado sugar exterior!!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 21

flourgrl ~ Your cake is gorgeous!!!
I think this would be fun to try sometime!! Always nice to have a different medium to use!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 21

The mardi gras style cake in my gallery is all buttercream (except for the fondant mask and diamonds on the bottom tier)... and the middle tier was coated with sanding sugar. I've also done it on fondant, but doing it directly on buttercream is much easier I think.

flourgrl Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 21

cool cakes BrandiBakes!!!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:

I think the cake was very sweet, but the bride said everyone loved it.
It was white velvet vanilla cake, brown sugar buttercream, fondant, and the turbinado sugar exterior!!

mmm, how do you make brown sugar buttercream? sounds wonderful!

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:36pm
post #16 of 21

Yes, Tell us about the brown sugar buttercream!

cakerunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerunner Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:37pm
post #17 of 21

also, how do you get it on there? Do you throw the sugar at it? give the details!

flourgrl Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 6:34pm
post #18 of 21

Thanks everyone....
well I wasn't at my best as I had just hurt my back, so this cake was not on the top of my priority list as I could barely move!

I just stacked the cake, covered sections with gel and stuck the sugar on. Didn't do the best job around the edges, but like I said, I was just trying to get it done.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:58pm
post #19 of 21

I would think you might be able to coat it with clear pipin gel and then use your hand to gently press the sugar against the cake. A tilting turntable might come in handy. I'm guessing here. It's similar to putting chocolate shavings or coconut on the side of a cake, isn't it?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:42pm
post #20 of 21

I held each layer seperately in my hand and tilted it a little and pressed the sugar onto it (holding it over the bowl of sugar ... then I waited for it to dry a little before I stacked the cakes.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:24am
post #21 of 21

I imagine that tasting like the little Peeps I buy for Easter. You know, the mashmallow chicks covered in brightly colored sugar. They're kind of gritty but I seem to get them down okay. Ü I like this look on a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%