Anyone Care To Share Your Favorite Thanksgiving Day Recipe?

Baking By momsandraven Updated 29 Nov 2005 , 2:05pm by flayvurdfun

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 20

Being a foodie, I just LOVE Thanksgiving and the opportunity to try new recipes while enjoying the traditional dishes also. Here's one of our family favorite traditions:

Sweet and Sour string beans
(This recipe can be doubled, etc depending on the size crowd you have.)

8 strips bacon
2 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar (I like to add 1T balsamic vinegar too)
2 cans french cut string beans (reserve 1 cup 'bean juice')

Cook up 8 strips bacon in large pan until crisp. Remove strips, leaving about 2T of the bacon grease in the pan. Add vinegar, bean juice and sugar to pan. Stir until sugar dissolves. Then add beans and stir. Heat through. This gets better the longer it simmers.

This is by no means a low-fat dish, but it is SO delicious!!

Looking forward to hearing your favorites!

19 replies
kthomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kthomas Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 20

My absolute favorite thing: Cranberry butter! It is delicious spread on croissants or rolls. It is SO EASY!

1/2 cup Craisins (dried cranberries)
orange juice
1 lb. butter, softened to room temp
5 tbsp powdered sugar

Simmer Craisins in orange juice on the stove for about 20 minutes, until the cranberries look plump and juicy. Drain cranberrries and allow to cool to room temperature. In a food processor, combine butter, powdered sugar, and cranberries and mix until cranberries are chopped into fine pieces and spread throughout the sweetened butter mixture.

You might want to taste it before putting the cranberry butter in a serving dish to see if you would like to add a bit more powdered sugar - if you like it extra sweet!

Spoon into a lovely serving bowl and chill. Take the cranberry butter out about 20 minutes before using it. Enjoy!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 20

I'll bite...LOL! For Thanksgiving this year I'm supposed to bring the following:

CORN CASSEROLE

1 stick butter or margarine, melted
1 8oz. container sour cream
1 box JIFFY corn muffin mix
1 can cream style corn
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 egg
1 cup grated cheese*, more if you like
(any cheese works, use what you like)

Mix all ingredients, just until combined. Top with additional cheese is you like. Pour mixture into an 8x8" baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, or until done, top will be lightly browned.

*Our new family favorite is Pepper Jack cheese, it gives this dish a little extra flavor, can also add a 4oz. can of chopped green chiles if desired. Recipe CAN be doubled and baked in a 9x13" pan.

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 20

I dont have a recipe but i do have a tip for turkey. when my DH and i moved out on our own and i made our first thanks giving dinner with out any help i got up at 5am and put the turkey on. two hours later i went to check on the turkey and my DH looked at it and said you put that in upside down. so we flipped it over and i cooked it for 3 more hours. when we cut into it, it just fell off the bone. the breast was so juicy from it being upside down. i also should add that all i do is put lots of butter on top of it wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at 400 and cook it two hours upside down then take it out put the juices from the turkey over it some more turn it over and cook for another 3 hours.

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 20

Ok for all of you on the Atkins Diet...this one is GREAT! It's simple as can be...2 ingredients. It's called Bacon Wrapped Cherries!
You take a pound of bacon cut in half
You take a tub or however they come of the Candied or Glace' Cherries

Wrap one cherry in a half of slice of bacon. Putting them on a cookie sheet seam side down. Do this for as many as you can stand. Bake in an oven at 400 degrees until the bacon is crispy.

I know sounds weird but is so delicious! My Mom thought I was nuts until I made them for her a year ago. She has since made them more than I have and LOVES Them!

momsandraven Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 12:04am
post #6 of 20

I think I'm going to have to try the cranberry butter! Actually, all of the recipes sound delish! I hope some more recipes get posted! icon_smile.gif

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 12:15am
post #7 of 20

Okay I always cook Thanksgiving dinner and always make this one, so here goesicon_smile.gif

Lime Salad

1 small box lime geletin
1 small bag mini marshmellows
1 small can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 small carton cool whip

Make geletin as directed on box and let set in refrig until half set, mix in rest of ingredients adding cool whip last. You can add 1/2 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 cup shredded cheese if desired. Pour in mold and let set until firm.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 20

This is the sweet potato recipe I have been using for years. It gets rave reviews everytime I make it. Here goes:

4-5 sweet potatoes
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 stick of butter (melted)
1- 5 oz can of evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Topping ingredients:
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 stick of butter (softened)

Peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Boil in pot of salted water till tender. Drain and beat until smooth.
Add sugar, eggs, butter, milk, vanilla and spices, one at a time and mix well. Pour into a buttered 9x13 baking dish. Mix together topping ingredients until crumbly. Spread on top of potatoes. Bake at 350 for 40 mins.

This is definitely not a low fat dish, but it is so worth the splurge for Thanksgiving...

Cindy

momsandraven Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 20

Oh, Cindy, that sounds like the sweet potato recipe that my MIL makes. YUM!!! I can't get enough of them when she makes them. (I'm spoiled, she makes them for my birthday too. LOL)

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 20

All of your recipes sound delicious. Here is my favorite - it's one my grandmother use to make often and we never have Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without it.

Hashbrown Casserole

1 bag frozen diced hashbrown potatoes, thawed
1 stick melted butter
1 8-ounce carton sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 onion chopped
1 bag shredded Velveeta cheese

Place the thawed potatoes in a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with Pam. Mix together the rest of the ingredients and pour over the potatoes. To this add:
enough crushed cornflakes to cover the top
1 stick melted butter
Cover the top of the mixture with cornflakes and then drizzle the melted butter over the top of the cornflakes. Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes.

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 20

I make that too thyterrel, however I use cream of mushroom soup instead.. everyone loves it![/u]

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 12:44am
post #12 of 20

My Boys just love MA'S Broccoli Casserole I use
1 bag frozen Chopped broccoli (THAWED) 1egg
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup diced ham
Mix it all together, spread in a 9 inch buttered casserole TOP with a mixture of 2 cups crushed ritz crackers and 1/4 cup melted butter. bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 2:06am
post #13 of 20

Waldorf Salad is my Thanksgiving favorite!

Here is my grandma's recipe!

1 5 pound bag apples
  1 bunch red seedless grapes
  1 bag mini marshmallows
  2 cups walnuts
  2 large cans chunk pineapple
  1 stalk celery
  1 16 ounce jar Miracle Whip

Dice apples and squirt them with lemon juice. Dice celery into small pieces. Cut grapes and pineapple in half. Break walnuts into small pieces. Split these items between 2 large bowls. Split Miracle Whip and marshmallow package between them, stir, chill and serve

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 2:11am
post #14 of 20

Those sound like some really good recipes. Here is one that I just love.

several fresh oranges peeled and cut into wedges
1-2 cans crushed pineapple in its own juice
1 bag shredded coconut or fresh cocnut if you want
1 bag mini marshmallows
Mix all together and top with cool whip or whipped cream
You can add some sugar to sweeten if needed. You can add more oranges too.

kthomas Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 1:30am
post #15 of 20

Hello foodies!

I was just double checking my Cranberry Butter recipe and noticed I made a small error...I have edited it and now it is correct!

Try it...it is easy, delicious, and addicting!

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 26 Nov 2005 , 9:29pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthomas

Hello foodies!

I was just double checking my Cranberry Butter recipe and noticed I made a small error...I have edited it and now it is correct!

Try it...it is easy, delicious, and addicting!

I just now checked back in on this one...LOL, I made the cranberry butter as originally posted. I hate to say, but I liked it so much I refused to take it to my MIL's house as planned! I like the tartness the smaller amount of sugar gave it, and i decided to keep it all for myself for bagels at breakfast. I'm also toying with the idea of using it to make homemade cranberry-cinnamon rolls!

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 2:15pm
post #17 of 20

gmcakes your cinnamon rolls sound so YUMMY!! icon_razz.gif

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 2:32pm
post #18 of 20

my neighbor just brought over some halloween pics and when I saw myself I was horrified icon_cry.gif .... I've put on too much weight lately ...last night I made the resolve that I'm starting a south beach again tomorrow ... and reading these recipes is not helping the cause icon_redface.gif lol ..... maybe if I'm a good girl I'll get to try a little of each next year icon_biggrin.gif

kthomas Posted 27 Nov 2005 , 11:59pm
post #19 of 20

icon_biggrin.gif I am so glad you liked the cranberry butter, it really is one of my favorite things to make! Mmmmmmmmmm, what a great idea to put it on bagels...I'm off to the grocery store for some bagels right now ~ I have lots of butter left over too!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 2:05pm
post #20 of 20

I know its past Thanksgiving, but ever since I could remember, my mom said before I was 5, I have had this jello salad, if you want to call it that.... it looks horrible the next day, but tastes great even then. what you do is get 4 colors of jello, mini marshmallows, fruit cocktail, cool whip, and bananas. you make the jello a couple of days prior.
you assemble it only when you are just about ready to serve it. To get it ready to serve, you cut up all the jello (supposedly into cubes, but I just slice away) drain the fruit cocktail, slice the bananas, and then you fold in the cool whip and marshmallows.... it looks great at first but once the jello gets into (the next day or so) it looks runny"ish" but tastes the same.... just thought I would pass it on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%