Chocolate Frosting Recipe

Decorating By Karenelli Updated 4 Sep 2004 , 2:44am by abc

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 5 Aug 2004 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 8

I need a recipe for a good chocolate frosting to cover a cake. My grandson wants a Scooby Doo cake for his birhday and I want to use chocolate frosting. Using the star tip to fill in the design, I need a stiff
frosting to keep the shape of the stars. Can I just flavor a buttercream frosting or should I use some other kind of frosting? If I flavor the buttercream what should I use. How about a real shortcut by using a premade canned chocolate frosting with something to stiffen it up. I still want it to taste good though. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any hints you have to give.

7 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 5 Aug 2004 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 8

Just use your shortening buttercream recipe you use now and add about 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and a bit more water..

I do know that there are some people that use the canned chocolate and it works just fine for them ... I think I have read that they add more powder sugar to make it stiffer...

Karenelli Posted 5 Aug 2004 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you very much Jackie. That is exactly what I needed to know.

Karenelli Posted 5 Aug 2004 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 8

Oops. Sorry LadyCake. I should have thanked YOU. I really do appreciate the information.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 5 Aug 2004 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8

Glad to be able to offer the help...

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 5 Aug 2004 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenelli

Thank you very much Jackie. That is exactly what I needed to know.

icon_biggrin.gif Hey, You're welcome! Anytime! LOL icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 22 Aug 2004 , 1:59am
post #7 of 8

I know you're already done but I still wanted to post. For a creamy dreamy chocolate BC icing that takes a little work: make your regular BC recipe and ganache. Mix together. It's to die for. It makes a milk chocolate colored icing. For a darker icing I add brown coloring.

I use ladycakes suggestion most of the time. But when I really want to impress and I have the time, ganache mixed with BC is the way to go.

abc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abc Posted 4 Sep 2004 , 2:44am
post #8 of 8

How much ganache do you add per batch of buttercream icing? The icing you mentioned sounds great icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%