Just Finished Another Red Dragon Cake...

Decorating By mamacc Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 7:06pm by valstupendo

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:12am
post #1 of 52

This cake took me almost all of last week to make(working mostly at night). It ended up being quite a project! The lady couldn't decide on the cake. At first I thought the cake was going to be a 3D standing knight but her son really wanted a large dragon.

So, I wanted to see if I could step it up a little from my last red dragon. I had my friend's dh cut the stand for me into an S- shape for the support under the dragons body. The head and tail are rice krispies. I was being cautious with the weight on the dragons head, but I think it would have been fine to do in cake. I was more worried about doing the knight figure than the rest of the cake, LOL! Thank goodness I had that Debbie Brown book with the instructions.

A little girl from a different party came over and grabbed the dragon's head! Luckily she only broke off one spike!

Courtney
LL
LL

51 replies
nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:20am
post #2 of 52

That is so incredible!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:24am
post #3 of 52

Oh my goodness, how do you charge such a cake? All those hours, sleepless nights, but well worth it. you truly are the "Queen of dragons"

sandralita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandralita Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:26am
post #4 of 52

That is a pretty amazing cake!

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:26am
post #5 of 52

Truely awesome!!!!

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:28am
post #6 of 52

I just commented on this picture in the gallery - and I have to say this cake is impressive!!!

You mentioned a Debbie Brown book with directions, which one???

You did a fabulous job!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mamacc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:54am
post #7 of 52

Thanks everyone! I've come along way since my very first dragon...which I haven't even posted in my gallery. icon_redface.gif

It was only for the knight figure that I used Debbie Brown's design. It's from the enchanted cakes book.

Well...if I was charging $10 per hour I should have charged minimum $230, but how much can you really charge for a 5 year olds birthday cake??

Courtney

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 6:04am
post #8 of 52

Fantastic cake!!! Your dragon is perfect!

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 6:04am
post #9 of 52

I love that cake! You are very talented!!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:37pm
post #10 of 52

Absolutely incredible, Fantastic Work!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 52

Oh, he is so cool!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 52

i love this cake! i bet the birthday boy loved it too. did the dragon come from a book? or did you just figure it out on your own?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 52

I'm in total awe right now!

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 52

wow!! it is amazing. thumbs_up.gif

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 52

WOW that is great cake! Your are really talented!
I would love to try something like that....

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 52

That dragon is incredible! I bow down to you most honored sculpter of cake!! I think you need to do a tutorial for CC so that all of us aspiring decorators can learn from a master!!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 52

AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing this cake! You're very talented!!!

Wendy

mamacc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #18 of 52

Thank you! I figured out the design on my own. I had a picture in my head that I was going for, and since I have aready done a dragon I had ideas about what I wanted to try with this one. I'd been wanting to do a cake with this kind of stand too.

A bunch of people are asking for a tutorial but it seems like most people lose interest once they hear that you have to cut plywood into shapes, LOL.

Courtney

christeena Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:31pm
post #19 of 52

Hey, no lose of interest here!! Have a handy DH so I would love to see instructions for this dragon! I LOVE it!!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:40pm
post #20 of 52

I loved the first one, and you really brought it this time. I love this one even more.

Just fanstastic!!!!!! I'm sure he loved it too.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:48pm
post #21 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Thank you! I figured out the design on my own. I had a picture in my head that I was going for, and since I have aready done a dragon I had ideas about what I wanted to try with this one. I'd been wanting to do a cake with this kind of stand too.

A bunch of people are asking for a tutorial but it seems like most people lose interest once they hear that you have to cut plywood into shapes, LOL.

Courtney

no loss of interest here eighter, I would so be in your debt for the tutorial!

as a matter of fact..skip the tutorial and send me the cake, I would put it under glass and just worship it! lol

you can pm me or get the email addy from the profile. I don't want to get Teresa worried by giving my email out in the forum..lol

Thank you so much for sharing...even if you don't get around to sending the tut, this IS truly a work of art..I'm getting all misty!

I don't know WHAT I'm thinking when I look at cakes like this..Advent..Antonia's cookies ..Mac and MelZ..ShirleyW...and all the others I pm!

Maybe we should just give Heath and Jackie permission to make all the tuts into a booklet and sell it to keep the site going..lol

christeena Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:59pm
post #22 of 52

Hey, Risque, that is an awesome idea!! I'd buy that book in a heartbeat!! I'm sure Heath will say that the legal ramifications are more than they are prepared to deal with when it comes to copyright, blah, blah, blah!!

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:00pm
post #23 of 52

This is the most amazing cake, I've ever seen! That's saying a lot considering all the fabulous cakes here on CC. I checked out your first red dragon, which was a great cake. But, the serpentine shape and the scales on this cake bring it to a whole new level.

I would love to see a tutorial on how to do this. I'm trying to visualize what the stand must look like. I think it would take me more than 23 hours, but I would sure like to attempt something like this. My little boy loves dragons.

Tammy

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:02pm
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

Hey, Risque, that is an awesome idea!! I'd buy that book in a heartbeat!! I'm sure Heath will say that the legal ramifications are more than they are prepared to deal with when it comes to copyright, blah, blah, blah!!

blech...I mean once we send them in and they post it..the bottom states the tute now belongs to CC..

Oh well...Whatever!

I'm just frustrated because I can NEVER print the darn things! there is ALWAYS an issue..the last one was the make your own cutters..the pics came out but not the text.!

and THAT was what was most important..I couldn't even paste and copy into a word doc to see if it would print that way..

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! icon_mad.gif

jess9333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess9333 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:09pm
post #25 of 52

Amazing cake! Can you describe how you did the stand? Is the dragon elevated from the board?

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:13pm
post #26 of 52

I love your dragons!! They are amazing!! I too would love to see a tutorial on this cake. One of my twins loves dragons and I would love to make this for her. (the other twin is a total princess so it would look cute to have a princess cake and a dragon cake)

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:28pm
post #27 of 52

I love the colors & the detail work! I bet you made that little boy very, very happy. I don't think that people realize how much work can go into a cake like that. I think that it could easily go for 300+, but I don't know many people that would pay that kind of money for a child's bday cake. I hope that you @ least got great satisfaction on producing such a beautiful cake. A tutorial would be great!

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:35pm
post #28 of 52

That is just amazing!!!!! I tried to do the circles like the dragon scales when I was making the towers for my daugters castle cake and I decided not to because it would have taken FOREVER! BRAVO on your patience and skill!!!!!!!!!!! WTG!!!!!!!!!!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 6:07pm
post #29 of 52

imho, you should charge what the cake is worth. if the customer wants a dragon, she should pay for the time and effort it takes. otherwise, she should ask for something less time consuming if the price is an issue.

mamacc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 6:09pm
post #30 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

blech...I mean once we send them in and they post it..the bottom states the tute now belongs to CC..

Oh well...Whatever!

I'm just frustrated because I can NEVER print the darn things! there is ALWAYS an issue..the last one was the make your own cutters..the pics came out but not the text.!

and THAT was what was most important..I couldn't even paste and copy into a word doc to see if it would print that way..

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! icon_mad.gif

Yeah...I'd like to keep the instructions my property and not CC's. I'm actually trying to get together some sort of book(let). I don't know how long it will take and have no idea how to go about it, but I've been taking step by step pictures of some of my cakes. I'd love to do a book were all different decorators can contribute, with the main focus on 3D cakes. I'm trying to come up with ways to make some money and not have to work myself to death, LOL!!

I'll post a picture of the stand right now and I'll try write out some directions too. It might take a couple days though.

Courtney
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%