Heating Core? Pan Sizes

Decorating By nickluke0705 Updated 9 Nov 2005 , 5:18pm by ivanabacowboy

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 11:30am
post #1 of 7

I am making a stacked cake - 14, 10 and 6 inches. Bottom is a 1,2,3 cake, next is chocolate, then, 1234 cake. do I need heating core in a convection oven? is this enough for 50-60 people? 1st paid for cake. a little nervous.

6 replies
MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluke0705

I am making a stacked cake - 14, 10 and 6 inches. Bottom is a 1,2,3 cake, next is chocolate, then, 1234 cake. do I need heating core in a convection oven? is this enough for 50-60 people? 1st paid for cake. a little nervous.

This should feed 105 people (assuming each tier is actually 2 cake layers)!!

I don't know about a convection oven, but I always use a core on anything over 10" size... just make sure you grease & flour it well!

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure about the serving sizes, but I would recommend using flower nails instead of the heating core. I use the flower nails because they are just as effective and you're not left with a big hole in the middle of your cakes. Hope this helps!
- Kenya

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 7

Just fill the core with batter too! voila, no hole!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 7

I always use the flower nail, too. Never have a problem with the cakes not getting done. I don't know about the convection oven, though. It wouldn't hurt to use it anyway just to make sure. I spray it with PAM before I put it in and it comes out great.

nickluke0705 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickluke0705 Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 7

since wilma, hard to drive around, so, can you very nice persons tell me how to do flower nail trick? thank you. I had never heard of heating core until yesterday.

ivanabacowboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivanabacowboy Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 7

Just grease/flour the flower nail like you do the pan, turn it upside down in middle of the pan (so that the large part rests on bottom of the pan), fill pan with batter. when it's done, just pop it out. You only have a little hole (compared to the big hole a premade heating core leaves). i've used it on a 10-in. round the large flower nail and worked perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%