Getting Cake To Stay On Turntable?

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 13 Feb 2007 , 5:30pm by Bettycrockermommy

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 23

ok, so I bought a turntable and it makes frosting the cake soooooo much easier, that is until I made a few tiered cakes and had a cake board under each tier when I frosted it. Well, the cakes moved all around and I had a VERY hard time getting them to stay still while I spun it to frost the sides. I put some dabs of BC underneath and each time it moved I tried more and more but it never really stuck, what should I try next time?

22 replies
FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 23

We use funtack - that silly puddy like stuff from an office supply store. Works great and can be reused over and over!

ladybuglau Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 23

you put it between the cake board and the turntable I'm assuming, and how much? little dabs or big globs?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 23

I cut a piece of the non-skid shelf lining to fit the turntable. It works great. The cake doesn't move.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:00am
post #5 of 23

in the self liner dept at wal-mart, etc. there's a mesh no-slip product (originally developed to line shelves in RVs)....buy a roll and then cut piece to fit on top of turntable.

I also cut a piece to fit between turntable base and counter so whole thing stays put on slick counter...

and it makes a great thing to put under cake being delivered...prevents sliding on the carpet in the vehicle

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:01am
post #6 of 23

Yes - just between the board and the turntable. If a little sticks to the board - it helps o hold it in the box so it doesn't move. We use it when we put a small board into a larger box - this way it doesn't slide. A little (pea size) usually works fine unless its a light cake - use a little more.

Good luck!

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:12am
post #7 of 23

Are you frosting a tiered cake on the turntable? I must not have read that right?

deester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deester Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:13am
post #8 of 23

I love it when you guys solve problems that I have, that I never thought were valid problems. Like I thought I was just 'being a baby' about my cake moving around and that I must have been doing something wrong. Now I know just to use that sticky stuff that I have in the drawer. You all are genius!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:20am
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I cut a piece of the non-skid shelf lining to fit the turntable. It works great. The cake doesn't move.

That is what I use too. I also use it under cakes to be delivered that are too large or tall to fit in a cake box, it keeps it from sliding in the car.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:23am
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

Greatest invention since pepperoni pizza! It's the only method to use!

ladybuglau Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:39am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondie

Are you frosting a tiered cake on the turntable? I must not have read that right?

yes, you heard correctly, I put each tier on a cake board on the turntable, seperately, to frost the sides and put the fondant on before taking it off to do the next tier, am I doing something wrong?
and thank you for the suggestions everybody!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:46am
post #12 of 23

I think she thought you were trying to ice a stacked cake or one with pillars on the turntable. I kinda thought that too after reading the first post, but now I see you're not.

I'm still not clear what's moving. Is it the cake on the board or is it the board on the turntable?

Sarah

kms2402 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms2402 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:47am
post #13 of 23

Have to tell a funny story about turntables. I have the Wilton tiltable turnable and a couple of weeks ago I used the tilt so that I could add cake sparkles to the sides of the cake. I was so wrapped up in the cake sparkles that I didn't notice the cake was SLIDING off the cake board!! I did catch it in time and had to push it back on. Only had to make minor fixes.

ladybuglau Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:53am
post #14 of 23

the cake board was sliding around on the turntable, I thought buttercream under the board was supposed to solve that, but it made a HUGE mess when I took it off for the next tier AND didn't work icon_smile.gif
so I will DEFINITELY use the non skid mat, it sounds much less messy and like it actually works!

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:56am
post #15 of 23

i keep meaning to get some of that mesh shelf liner myself and im sure it works great...but i have a way to improvise fixing the "slide effect"...i just use a hand towel on the countertop...slightly dampened....like just enough from drying wet hands...and i also put a thin washcloth slightly damp right on top of the turntable as well.....for some reason it works.....BTW...my Mama is a cake decorator from wayyy back... i remember her dragging me to Wilton classes in the top of the old JCPenney building when i was 4 or 5... lets just say that was ::thirtyCOUGHthirty:: years ago...lol..
anyway.....thats what they did..and shes worked in numerous bakeries where the owners where ::coughcheapb@stA*rdscough:: and lol thats what the decorators used to stop the sliiiiiiiiiiiiiide....

as always love the tips and stories everyone icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:59am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglau

the cake board was sliding around on the turntable, I thought buttercream under the board was supposed to solve that, but it made a HUGE mess when I took it off for the next tier AND didn't work icon_smile.gif
so I will DEFINITELY use the non skid mat, it sounds much less messy and like it actually works!

Okay, gotcha. I wouldn't put buttercream underneath the board -- only the cake so that it sticks to the board. You definitely want the non-stick mat. About 3 bucks at Walmart. Works fabulously for transporting the cakes too. Hands down the best!

Sarah

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:05am
post #17 of 23

LOL, deester, me too! I thought there must be some trick that I didn't know...and didn't think to ask. So downright annoying to have the cake sliding around!

ladybuglau Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:05am
post #18 of 23

thank you! now I have an unrelated (and probably stupid to most of you) question.... how do I get one of my pictures to be under my name like the rest of you???? I'm a lil slow today and I can't seem to figure it out! icon_redface.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 4:58am
post #19 of 23

I never even thought to use the non-stick shelf liner ... what a great idea!! I just always put a rolled up piece of packing tape or scotch tape on the center of the turntable, and the cake board doesn't move until I pull it off! icon_biggrin.gif

tobycat Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:12am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglau

thank you! now I have an unrelated (and probably stupid to most of you) question.... how do I get one of my pictures to be under my name like the rest of you???? I'm a lil slow today and I can't seem to figure it out! icon_redface.gif

No question is stupid here! This is the place to get any answer you need. I think I can answer this one for you, if you mean a gallery picture. You just go to the gallery tab at the top and then to "upload picture." You then just have to fill out the info in each section. Just remember that your pic size needs to be under 800 megapixels.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

ladybuglau Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #21 of 23

I uploaded a couple of pictures Sonoma9 but I can't figure out how to make one come up under my name when I post something, I don't even know what its called! hehe

ladybuglau Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 1:56am
post #22 of 23

haha,nevermind! I thought an avatar was something else, my BF just clued me in icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:30pm
post #23 of 23

I find the non-skid mats at the dollar store!! They work great for keeping the cake in place on the turntable, in the box, in the car. I even use little small pieces to keep the seatbelt from sliding off the box in the car.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%