How Do You Do Hair?

Decorating By TinaJoy07 Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 2:09am by sweet_as_tisse

TinaJoy07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaJoy07 Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have working on making bride and groom couples for some cake toppers but am struggling to make the hair for the bride look ok. Most the time it just looks like spaghetti (sp) lol Any tips out there to make this easier. I have even thought of using my sons playdough toys to try to make it but havent tried it yet. Is there a special tool out there for this?

7 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 8

I have used a clean garlic press that works very well. I bought a VERY cheap clay extruder at Michaels-I think it was $5 with several different dies. I personally like the garlic press better for hair because I can put a larger piece in and don't have to work so hard to get it out. I used it for hair on all the girls on my sleepover cake.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 8

Are you using fondant or buttercream for the hair? You could use the grass tip for the hair if you are using buttercream.

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 8

I use either my playdoh machine or a playdoh machine pen I found at Target on clearance.

The pen is the same as the machine, but all the templates are about 1/4 the size of the regular machine so you get much tinier extrusions.

TinaJoy07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaJoy07 Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:16pm
post #5 of 8

I have tried both buttercream and fondant.

The garlic press sounds like a great idea. Might have to pick one up. If i can get the playdough toys away from my son i might try that to.

thanks for your great tips

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 8

I have made hair using use a playdoh maker or a garlic press (this can get a bit hard) you could also use a clay gun ...I also made hair by attaching/gluing a glob of sugarpaste to the head, then with a craft knife you make little cuts dragging in a downwards direction or the direction you want the hair to go in, then you can play hairdressers and cut and style icon_lol.gif .....this will give you much finer hair ans its really quick and easy!

you can see in my photos of the Christmas cakes/angels how the different techniques look

happy hair-dressing!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 8

Garlic press! Works great!

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:09am
post #8 of 8

I have just been experimenting with figures, i use my clay gun to make the hair..

if you want it to curl just twist it around a tooth pick until it holds it shape then glue it onto the head...

kylie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%