Thanksgiving Party

Decorating By jjandascog Updated 14 Nov 2005 , 4:25am by maddog

jjandascog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandascog Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 14

I'm in charge of the dessert for my daughter's Thanksgiving party at school. I want to make one of the 3D turkey cakes or something as a centerpiece that is surrounded by cookies and cupcakes. Anybody have any cute ideas that I could use to tie it all together. I have some thoughts but I love hearing all the ideas on here that I can weave in with my own. Thanks!

13 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 14

You could do turkey shaped cookie cutters and decorate accordingly. Cupcakes could be made to look like little pilgrims!

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 14

Same idea, but you could do the one I saw on here that uses cookies for the tail feathers... I like the pilgrim cupcake idea!!

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 14

You could do the turkey cake and then have cupcakes that have little sayings of examples of what they might be thankful for. Like the cupcakes could say, "I'm thankful for my family" or "I'm thankful for my friends", etc. Hope this makes sense. Just a thought.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 14

I'm making cute pilgim hats for our dessert table--this isn't my original idea, I saw it done a few years ago. Take a Keebler Fudge Stripe cookie and turn it upside down (this will be the brim of the hat). Dip a marshmallow (not the mini's) in chocolate, stick to cookie. When the chocolate has dried, pipe a yellow square for the buckle thingy on the hat. I watched the kids move in like locusts on these--they were even more popular than the cookies on a stick. icon_smile.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 14

I am going to make a Turkey cake for a friend for her daughter's school. I got an old snowman pan and the seashell pan off of ebay and I'm going to
make the shell with cookie recipe and then a cake with the snowman. You split the shell and put halves on either side of the snowman and then decorate the snowman to look like a turkey...The instructions are in one of the old Wilton yearbooks and it is just adorable...You could probably do it with other pans....

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 14

How about autumn leaves cookies? I like the pilgrim CC idea too.

jjandascog Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 14

I love all of these ideas. I think I'll let them make the marshmallow pilgrim hats for their activity... They'll love it.

Cindy - I saw that shell turkey you're talking about and I really like it but was thinking the kids might like the one made with the rubber ducky pan better. They're 3 year olds. Maybe I'll make the one your talking about for the teachers' lounge and put some business cards with it.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 14

That is a great idea....I think it will be a big hit...
Are you going to do the 3d duck and make it into a Turkey? I hadn't thought of that, but that would be adorable...

MrsMissey Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 14

Instead of doing the "shell' for the turkey body...I made a cake for that part by using the sports ball pan! Pic is in the gallery

jjandascog Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:47am
post #11 of 14

That's how I'm going to do it but with the 3D rubber ducky pan because I just got it and haven't used it yet. I'll make extra cookies to spread around the cake board and I think I'm going to decorate cupcakes to look like pumpkins. I told my husband about the pilgrim's hat marshmallows and he wants me to make them for him.

Thank you all for the ideas! I love sharing ideas with everyone and getting feedback. My husband is very encouraging and even acts as my dishwasher but he is a little biased!

MrsMissey Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 14

Make sure you take pics for us!

I wanted to add that I just looked in the latest editon of Mailbox News...in there are the cutest turkey cupcakes...they just did two rows of ruffles (one red and one orange) around the edge of the cupcake, then a straight brown line (tip#12) for the had and neck and then piped in facial features. They were so cute!

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 14

Here are a couple cute Turkey cakes that may help.

http://www.securecakestore.com/acatalog/Turkey.html
Turkey looks to be done with egg pan

http://www.cindascreativecakes.com/Home/homeframe.htm
Turkey Cake with cookies for head & tail or fondant, ball pan for body, wings done with icing.
Photo Gallery Holidays Pg 2

maddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddog Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 4:25am
post #14 of 14

I just did those pilgram hats for a party and I also made teepees from suagr cones coated with white royal and piped on the "door" and decorations. I got this idea from familyfun.com. I forgot to take a picture!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%