Arg! My Canon Printer....

Decorating By missyek Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 4:25am by missyek

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 10

Life of printing edible images was great until a few weeks ago. I went to print an image and it came out all orange. Did a nozzle check and of course all the colors were not printing properly. To spare all the details of what I did over the next couple of weeks, it has boiled down to that my light blue and light magenta colors do not print. I deep cleaned hundreds of times (wasted a lot of ink), spoke with Kopykake a number of times and all their suggestions did not work, soaked the print head in cleaner to unclog, unistalled and reinstalled the software and I still only get my black, dark blue, dark pink and yellow lines print when doing a nozzle check.

I'm at my wits end because I have no idea what to do at this point. I still have refill colors for the Canon. I looked on ebay for another Canon IP3000 and wow, they are raping you for brand new ones--$150+ when I originally paid $40 (great online deal). Even the used ones are going for a pretty penny. Then I thought about getting a new print head, but those are around $40 too (?). Then I am thinking, okay, I will do the Epson, The cheapest I can find a C88 is $78 at Walmart. Then it is $72 for the inks. Does kopykake sell the chip resetter too?

Can someone help me make a decision? Either way, I know I am dishing out at least $200 (I need more image sheets too.... icon_sad.gif ). I just don't know what direction to go in. Any help, insight, siggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
tawnyachilders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tawnyachilders Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 10

I think your canon and my canon have the same disease. I just finished steaming my print head to remove clogs and it seemed like it worked alot of ink came out, but then when i try to print it just prints black and yellow. This is the second ip3000 that has done this. I have to find a better system.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 10

missyek, I'm sorry to hear about your ip3000 troubles. I have this printer myself and am nervous about it doing the same things yours and tawnya's.

You can download a free Epson chip resetter from here: linky. I have an AIO Epson printer that I use for regular print jobs and the chip resetter works perfectly.

If you do decide to stop fighting with the Canon and want to sell your ink, PM me.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 10

I bought an Epson CX5800F in November. I was able to buy a chip resetter from Kopykake, but haven't had to use it yet. So far no problems with the printer. I hope you get things worked out. It's nice to be able to make an edible image when you want one. The supermarkets around here won't see images. Good luck.

missyek Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 10

tawnyachilders, I had a similar problem with my precvious model (i560), the blue did not want to print. For some odd reason, I still have it, so I just finished soaking that print head (I did not do that with that one) and I'm going to give it a whirl. Hopefully it works.

But Derby just mentioned in another post that the refill inks will work both for Canon and Epson printers, so all hope may not be lost--I can still use what I have if I go the Epson route.

Cakepro--I'll let you know what I do! thumbs_up.gif

spoiledtoodef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledtoodef Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 10

Missyek...

I know your feelings oooo to well. I have the ip1500 and all of a sudden mine stop printing red and yellow. I contacted Canon and they told me that my printhead was finished. Buying a new printerhead was out. Because the one I purchased for the ip1500 my printer would not read it. So like you I went on ebay. That is where I purchased my first one. Yes, they are asking wayyyyy too much for the printers. I will only purchase a new printer because it is hard to make sure the nonedible ink is not still in the printer. I won a deal and purchased one for $125 including shipping. But, I am going to keep my eye on them and purchase one or two more and keep a spares. I am about to die without my printer.....Good luck .....Kim

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 10

I bought the EPSON CX7800 from Newegg.com. They have THE BEST prices on just about anything computer related. I got it for $126.00 last fall. I LOVE it!

I hope that you get everything worked out!

Love2Create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2Create Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 11:47pm
post #8 of 10

I've never made the edible images. Can you use any printer or do you have to buy a brand new one and only use it for food items? Where do you buy the edible ink and paper?

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:03am
post #9 of 10

ditch the cannon and buy the epson!! thumbs_up.gif i had the exact same problems w/my cannon and i spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME & MONEY messing around with it.

so i bought the epson w/the clog free inks and have had absolutely NO problems w/it! i love it!

missyek Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 4:25am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Create

I've never made the edible images. Can you use any printer or do you have to buy a brand new one and only use it for food items? Where do you buy the edible ink and paper?

Yes, there are certain printers that you can use. Check out this FAQ from kopykake: http://www.kopykake.com/pc_faqs.html

On another note, the print head from my i560 is dead as well. Looks like I will be going for the Epson. I guess it is not all bad. I LOVE my regular Epson All-In-One (RX500). We have had issues with Epson in the past, but nothing like the problems I continually have with Canon. So, as soon as I can scrape up the money, off to buy a new C88 and some Epson Inks. Thanks, everyone, for your responses. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%