Do You Give Your Customers Directions?

Business By cakesoncall Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 1:28pm by imartsy

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 14

Ok, so I live in a little town that is pretty clueless when it comes to things like fondant, royal icing, etc. Most people here are used to going to a big store and picking up a generic cake with generic roses and just taking it home and cutting right into it. I love to do royal icing flowers; I think there are more flower choices with royal than BC for obvious reasons, but I really think that if I didn't explain royal icing to my customers, they would think they had gotten stale icing! icon_confused.gif So, I always tell them: it's a different type of icing that is more conducive to making lifelike flowers; it is edible, but it dries very hard.

So, I'm curious; do any of you feel like you're giving instructions to your customers when they pick up a cake? Not just about icings, but about anything related to their cake order. How much info do you tell them, and how much do you kind of expect them to figure out?

Just curious how my fellow decorators approach this. icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 14

I have a friend that gives out what everything is so if the peron is allergic to something or if they dont like something, and they failed to tell her, they know what everything is. Also I know most of the people that I know that decorate cakes give out cutting guide but thats it. sorry I couldnt help more.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 14

I tell them about the royal icing and fondant flowers if I use them...most people around here pretty much know about fondant.

Also, if I add decorations that are non-edible, I definitely let them know.

Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 14

As all decorating techniques beside marzipan modelling aren´t that familiar to the germans, I have to tell everything to everyone icon_cry.gif That can really be frustrating when you present your cakes at a bridal show and have to talk with nearly 200 people ... That was one reason for me to explain all that on my web-site. For the restaurant I always bring a copy of the cutting-plan, when I deliver the cake and most of the time explain everything about the decoration, the ingrediants etc. to them too.

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 14

Glad to know I'm not the only one that gives explanations for cakes! icon_smile.gif I'm always a little concerned though that if my customers feel they need an instruction manual to eat a cake from me, that they'll eventually decide it's too much hassle for "just" a birthday cake. I always give an outline for wedding cakes that includes cutting guidelines, number of servings per tier, etc, but I've wondered if this is overkill for more standard cakes. I guess more people do something like this for all cakes than I realized. Good to know! You guys are great! thumbs_up.gif

rainamehta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainamehta Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 14

For all of my 3D sculptures, I provide serving directions. It outlines what to remove before cutting (such as flowers attached with floral wire or other pieces attached with skewers). I tell them where the dowels are if included and general cutting directions. I think people appreciate it.

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 14

I also explain about fondant or gumpaste to my customers, I think people appreciate it.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 14

I give a cutting guide if they are not having an expert cut the cake, written directions for storing and if they are saving the top tier, instructions for that. I give them a written count of dowels used and where they are. Instructions regarding what must be returned and by what date. I also make note of any ingredients that could cause allergic reactions like almond extract, etc.
If they are picking up the cake, I give them pieces of rubberized shelf liner to line their car underneath where the cake boxes will sit.
For birthday cakes, I also include candles.
Hugs Squirrelly
Edited to add, yes I explain the attributes and handling of the particular icings and filling in the cakes so that they know what to expect and how to store.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:34am
post #9 of 14

I know this post is a little bit older.... but I was wondering if anyone has posted a "cutting guide" for anything. I know Wilton has some in their yearbooks - but I thought I had seen one for sheetcakes a little while back and now I can't find it. I also always wondered about those barbie cakes and odd-shaped cakes. So is there a cutting guide posted and I just can't find it? I'd appreciate if anyone could post it again for me or just send me a link to that thread!

Thanks!

imartsy Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:35am
post #10 of 14

I know this post is a little bit older.... but I was wondering if anyone has posted a "cutting guide" for anything. I know Wilton has some in their yearbooks - but I thought I had seen one for sheetcakes a little while back and now I can't find it. I also always wondered about those barbie cakes and odd-shaped cakes. So is there a cutting guide posted and I just can't find it? I'd appreciate if anyone could post it again for me or just send me a link to that thread!

Thanks!

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:57am
post #11 of 14

I have the Wilton one on my website. Feel free to use it, just remember to give Wilton credit for it.

And yes, I explain everything. I assume they know nothing just in case.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:09am
post #12 of 14

I tell people everything. Usually if they ask about royal, I just explain that it's "that hard icing", and that's enough. Sometimes they ask if it's edible, of course I tell them it sure is.....

I also explain where any dowels are, and how many there will be......

And yes, how to cut. It can be surprising how many people so don't know how to cut a cake.

I don't want to get a call when they are midway through a party, and I am midway through a shower! LOL

imartsy Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:10am
post #13 of 14

Do you think the pieces should only be 2 x 1? I think that's what they are saying.... If it's a 2 layer cake? I'm thinking it's a lot of cake... but I'm just not sure. I was going to try to pre-score, or make some kind of divisions to help them cut it.

imartsy Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:28pm
post #14 of 14

Somehow my post doens't seem to make sense here. I'm doing the 2 12 x 18 cakes stacked on top of each other and I'm doing 2 sets of that - basically 2 full sheet cakes stacked on top of each other to create one 2-layer full sheetcake. I think I've posted this question elsewhere too so I'm so sorry if I'm confusing people. If anyone wants to reply to either post, I would appreciate it!

What size slices should I make on that size cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%