Pricing Gumpaste/flowers

Business By BeautifulCakes Updated 14 Nov 2005 , 3:28am by izzybee

BeautifulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeautifulCakes Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 9

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering how much you girls normally charge for gumpaste/fondant flowers. For example roses, orchids, sml blossoms and also bows. I need help putting a pricing list together. Thanks

Irma

8 replies
gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

I WANNA KNOW TOO!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 9

good question..i always underprice..i just recently spoke to a lady i did a class with and a cake that I would sell for $25, she sells for $45..we live 10 minutes away from eachother and I'm the one in the city, I need to up my prices.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 9

It depends on the flower - I try to price them by "the bunch" - say 5 red roses - is easier on me (less work) then one white rose, one green orchid, one yellow daisy - etc.
But I use $10 for a full flower (leaves & bud included) as guidline. I'd give a deal if it were all the same flower. I just did a cake with 10 white calla lillies - no leaves - and instead of charging $100 more, I charged her $80 more since they were all the same (less labor for me).

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 9

wow...i can't believe you can charge that much for a flower!! icon_surprised.gif

PerryStCakes Posted 3 Nov 2005 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 9

Well, I make my own GP and the "gum trag" ingrediant is very expensive - plus it's usually a 2 day process - one day I do the bases, then they have to dry, the next day i do the petals and finish the flower - and a rose takes an eon to make. It's a lot of labor. Plus, here in NYC, I am pretty cheap compared to everyone else. If a bride can't pay that, I offer fondant flowers, chocolate flowers, or marzipan flowers - all are much less.

Charge for your labor ladies & gents - those flowers are very time consuming!!

XOXOXO
-Perry

BeautifulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeautifulCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 3:14am
post #7 of 9

PerryStCakes what are your prices on fondant flowers and bows? I'm from Chicago so prices are pretty high here too. And thanks for your reply.
Irma

PerryStCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 9

I don't have a specific price for fondant flowers and bows. I usually up the charge for a fondant cake altogether, so if its just a few little things, I don't separate that out. If it were a lot more work - say tons of flowers and/or bows, I would think about how much time it would take me and then charge for my labor (per hour).

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:28am
post #9 of 9

I've seen fluffy bows go for up to $45!! That is amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%