My Cake Decorator

Decorating By LittleBakerboy Updated 9 Feb 2007 , 1:16pm by springlakecake

LittleBakerboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBakerboy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 10:41am
post #1 of 10

Well let me start by saying this. I love my wife and she is he most amazing person I know. She is a gifted cake decorator and she is the person who started our store here in Saline MI. She works hard and really rocks when it comes time to decorate a cake. The issue I have is the way people treat her her when they hear what she does. They look down their nose at her because she is not a doctor or lawyer she is just A cake decorator. Well let me tell you something I know alot of people in these so called better job's and they do not have 1/2 of the drive and passion she has for her work. She is always very high strung about her cakes because she cares so darn much about doing things right. I do not understand why people in our world do not hold artists like her in higher reguard. Another thing that makes me mad is that she will spend 3-4 hours sometimes just getting a birthday cake right and the people come in to the store and say they could get the same cake at sams club but cheaper. It is everything I can do to keep my self from jumping over the counter and *&*&*& them. I think I will start a support group for husbands and spouses of cake decorators what do you guys think? icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 10:54am
post #2 of 10

First, let me say what a lucky wife you have to have such a supportive husband!
Yes, I agree that people do not understand the work and effort that go into each cake that we do. Yes, they can to to Sam's Club or the local super market and get a cake for a much cheaper price, but what are they getting? A cheap yucky tasting cake! What we bake are delicious tasting, gourmet works of art! And that is what I tell people that are rude enough to say such things. If you want quality, you have to pay for it!
Hmmmmmm, a support group? not a bad idea!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:02am
post #3 of 10

First Off I would like to say WELCOME LittleBakeryboy thumbs_up.gif

Second I applaud you for standing by your wife thumbs_up.gif

And Third People just don't get it about how much time and hard thought out planning it takes to put out a one of a kind masterpiece. Ya thay can go to Wallyworld and buy a cake. But most of use put different touches on these cakes. A flavor we personally developed or a style that is all our own. I am so glad you see that and can appreciate it. Most husbands don't. Mine is ok with what I do. I am not sure how much he realizes I do. Yes he is Amazed at the final product. And he jokes with me and he is a scource of imagination and creativity for me. I bounce things off of him all the time. I don't have a shop where bad things like that happen. But he knows when I am frustated and is there for me.

So keep supporting your wife. And PS don't bash to many heads along the way icon_razz.gif Cause I know if my DH would here the comments he would bash some heads icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

LittleBakerboy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:12am
post #4 of 10

I think it may be that people do not appreciate hard work anymore is the reason people do not understand how hard it is to do something like this. There are times when she comes home and her arm hurts so bad from decoratring all day that she is in tears. That gets her a nice ice pack and some pain medication and a rub down on her arm and it usally seattles her arm pain in about hour or 2. I wish they could she this side of things and maybe they would understand that alot of your soul goes into to your work and sometimes it is a very draining experiance.
I only jump over the counter and beat them to a pulp in my head. icon_biggrin.gif

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:36am
post #5 of 10

LittleBakerBoy you are great!! Your wife is so lucky to have you.
I think we all at some point dont understand the time and effect that is put into things. My partner is a singer/ song writer, He works very hard, his never out of the studio. At gigs in clubs you get the odd group of people talk over the whole song. I get so upset and angry I want to hurt them!!!!! I dont because it wouldnt be a very lady like thing to do, but that doesn't stop be wanting to. I totally know where you are coming from. Its me that has to cuddle him when his low, tell him to keep going. It makes me think if only they. But would it make a difference. Some people just dont understand and some people just dont care.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:41am
post #6 of 10

Your wife is a cake decorator and all cake decoartors suffer the same way. I would like to know where she got one like you from. I am not so sure I would mind if you beat them to a pulp, sometimes they really need it. you don't have or work in a shop to have this type of dedication either.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:46am
post #7 of 10

Excellent!! Your wife is lucky to have you on her side!! She'll learn to tell people off in a tactful way without losing their business. If they want a Sam's cake go to Sam's! Good for you for being on her side & thinking so highly of her!!

People look down at school bus drivers too. HELLO I get your kid safe to school every day & do it with love & a smile! icon_smile.gif I guess we can't please everyone.

Good luck to ya'll & I hope your business grows & grows!! icon_smile.gif

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 10

Well, yes, your wife is very lucky to have you to support her, but if she's happy being an artist who cares what anyone else thinks? I don't, I'm a happy little artist who doesn't give a rotund rodents rear end what anyone else thinks of my job, so long as I'm happy and my family are happy.

LittleBakerboy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:52pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by franjmc

Well, yes, your wife is very lucky to have you to support her, but if she's happy being an artist who cares what anyone else thinks? I don't, I'm a happy little artist who doesn't give a rotund rodents rear end what anyone else thinks of my job, so long as I'm happy and my family are happy.

You have a point but everybody like it not no matter who you are when you told you are special or did a good job or you get a needed hug just because its the nice thing to do is what makes us all feel good. Everybody needs praise not disrespect. icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 10

Hey, first I want to applaud you for being so supportive of your wife. It really is touching!

Secondly I want to say that I grew up in Dexter, Michigan. i wish I lived closer, I would love to come visit your shop sometime. My SIL used to live in saline, but has since moved, so I dont get out that way much.

While I dont have any kind of official business, mostly cakes for family and friends at this point, I think people are pretty much in awe of custom cakes really. I get a lot of attention for them icon_redface.gif , so a lot of people must think it is pretty cool to be able to have talent to create them. But I dont think they really realize quite how much work goes into one....or even the expense really. On the other hand, some people just want cake. They could care less what they look or taste like...so let those people make them themselves!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%