Royal Icing Or Fondant Poinsettia?

Decorating By fytar Updated 5 Nov 2005 , 3:17pm by charlieinMO

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

I want Poinsettias on three different cakes I am making in December. I just don't know which is easiest to make - royal icing flowers or MMF. Does anyone have directions for the fondant/gumpaste poinsettia?

7 replies
ayost43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayost43 Posted 1 Nov 2005 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 8
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 1:54am
post #3 of 8

I was finishing up Course III around Christmas last year.

We learned to make poinsettias with royal icing, so my final cake had those cascading down the 2 tiers. I made them in red, pink, white, and pink/white striped. I also did them in small, medium, and large. They were sooo easy and they looked super. I did the centers with the grass tip using yellow and I dusted them with white edible glitter.

The large ones had to dry for nearly 4 days as they were really thick on the bottoms. After they dried, I turned them upside down and piped long points on the backs so that I could stick them into the cake. I added some fresh icing to the backs to hold them to the buttercream when I used them to decorate.

The royal flowers are very dimensional and the fondant/gumpaste ones are less so. Just a personal choice, I guess.

Have fun!
Rae

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 2 Nov 2005 , 2:07am
post #4 of 8

Have you ever heard of patchwork cutters?? There is a pointsettia cutter that is beautiful, fairly easy to use and quick... You do need to use gumpaste when you use the cutters. Nicholas lodge has a really easy tylose gumpaste recipe on his site. You can get the cutters at www.nicholaslodge.com or www.globalsugarart.com

Here's a picture of one I made in a class...
LL

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 12:08am
post #5 of 8

bump.... See, we didn't ignore you!! icon_lol.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 12:10am
post #6 of 8

You can also do them with buttercream.... I did some right on the cake and came out pretty....

I think I got a pick in my photos...

No, I don't. If I find it, I will post it...

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 3:06am
post #7 of 8

Tami, that is absolutely beautiful!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 8

TamiAZ that is beautiful!! I just love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%