Cake Sides Curving In?

Decorating By Amylou Updated 17 Mar 2005 , 1:38pm by MrsMissey

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 8

One of the students in the Wilton Course 1 class did a cake in an 8" round, 3" high pan, using the bake-even strips. Her cake came out with the sides like this: ) ( In fact, when I saw it iced it looked like a torted and filled cake, but she had not torted it at all. I couldn't think of an explanation why it had happened. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

7 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 8

That is strange..I have never heard of that. Do you know if she soaked the baking strips in water first? That's the only thing I can think of that might have been a possible cause, but it's just a guess!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 8

That is why I personally do not use those bake even strips. thumbsdown.gif

MrsMissey Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 8

Ironically...the only time I ever use them is on the 8 x 3" round, other than that I don't bother with them either!

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 16 Mar 2005 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 8

I know she did soak them in water first. I went through a checklist with her... oven temp right, followed cake box directions, etc. The only thing I thought about after class was that maybe the strips were not placed up against each other, resulting in the gap being the area were the cake curved in? That was the only thing I could think of. I personally love the bake even strips and have had good luck with them!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 9:31am
post #6 of 8

I have had cakes that do that too, but it was always a real heavy cake, not any I made after that did that unless it was a heavy cake.... like the doctored up cake mix I did within the last week, very heavy and dry.... it did the same thing..... I dont have strips but was thinking about buying them! we'll see.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 11:42am
post #7 of 8

you cannot put those bake strips on a 3 inch pan!! the strips are made for 2 inch pans. the strips are not wide enough to cover a 3 inch pan. if she did use them, then did she use two of them? baking strips work well, if you use them properly. i never bake without them! icon_smile.gif

MrsMissey Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 8

Two baking strips fit perfectly around the 8 x 3" !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%