I Can't Use Butter In My Buttercream????????

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 8 May 2013 , 11:15pm by KimAZ

Metabea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metabea Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 4:59pm
post #31 of 40

I've used the butter flavored crisco before and it tasted pretty darn good icon_wink.gif

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 1:06am
post #32 of 40

I'm with you, it's just absolutely crazy. and I am definately going to question it further, it's not the end of it.

I will have to find out about the swiss meringue buttercream. Iv'enever tried it.

I just tried out the dreamy cream and the faux fondant buttercream, my husband LOVES my buttercream (with butter) and he said these tasted bad, they did have a little bit of a funny taste, maybe it was the flour.

Maybe I will try out the butter crisco, but I do think all crisco is just too greasy in your mouth.

Are there any other options?????????????

Thank you for all your responds.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:44pm
post #33 of 40

Ask Marilyn once covered something about butter. I was able to search the archives of Parade magazine and find it. It's the fourth question down. If it doesn't satisfy the frosting with butter question, it satisfies our curiosity about leaving butter on the counter (it's OK ... as long as it's real butter).
http://websearch.cs.com/cs/boomframe.jsp?query=ask+marilyn+archives&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3D7b816cf2750ff20c%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery%3Dask%2Bmarilyn%2Barchives%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.parade.com%252Farchive.jsp%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DCSBoom%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parade.com%2Farchive.jsp

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:52pm
post #34 of 40

Well that just sounds so ridiculous to me..I mean you are trying to get a license for food prep and most food requires refridgeration....Doesn't make sense.Here you are required to have a fridge with the proper temp to store cakes etc....for you to get licensed from the Health Dept.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #35 of 40

Sugarbunz - You have a recipe for Swiss Meringue BC that doesn't use butter? The recipes I've seen all use butter.

My daughter lives in PA. She checked into getting a home baking license there. She could get a license easily if she was not making anything that needed refridgeration like custard pies, cheese cake, etc. If she wanted to make and sell anything requiring refridgeration she would have to take some classes before getting the license.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 1:36pm
post #36 of 40

many states require anything with butter that hasn't been cooked (such as buttercream) remain in a refrigerated case until it is sold.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:52pm
post #37 of 40

Price - I'm not sure if it's doable - but since this guy or gal (the inspector) seems to think butter is bad but crisco is good - I am wondering if she were to use crisco instead of butter - would he have issues with the egg whites (even though meringue powder could also substitute for the eggs)? It just sounds to me like whoever gave her this information has something specifically against butter. Hmmm, maybe he/she works for Parkay. icon_razz.gif

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 9:42pm
post #38 of 40

maybe the italian buttercream woudl work. I mean technically the butter and eggs are both being cooked.

I would ask.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 10:12pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretDeprived

maybe the italian buttercream woudl work. I mean technically the butter and eggs are both being cooked.

I would ask.

IMBC is more perishable than regular powdered sugar buttercream made with real butter.

As for a version made with shortening, I think that would be insanely greasy. It's a very fatty icing. It's greasy even with butter, which melts in the mouth more easily than shortening. Plus, butter is the main flavoring in IMBC.

Also, by the time the butter is added to IMBC, the mixtures isn't very warm, so the butter won't really be cooked.

I'm being annoying, aren't I... icon_smile.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:15pm
post #40 of 40

We are told the same thing in Arizona under our Food Cottage law. No using real butter in buttercream. I totally questioned this after a fellow decorator told me. I wrote to our health dept and was told we can NOT use REAL butter because it's "potentially hazardous"... ( whatever!!!)   Using real butter IN cake is fine because it is cooked. When you make buttercream frosting, nothing is cooked, therefore this so called hazard.

Funny thing though and totally unfair and insane is that those bakers and decorators who have a business/shop/store front who get inspected by a health inspector can use real butter with no problems.  So all they are telling me is that if you have a "legal" piece of paper and get inspected, it's fine. Otherwise, too bad for us!

How stupid is that?!?!?

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%