Scratch-made donuts are invited to the international stage with Olympic ring mirror glaze. Learn how to prepare the donuts and glaze, then apply it for these show-stopping treats.
Video By Honeysuckle
Mirror Glaze Olympic Donuts Recipe:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of melted oil
- ½ cup of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, Salt, together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (Coconut Oil, milk, egg, white vinegar, and vanilla).
- Now, mix together the wet mixture with the dry mixture and stir until its combined. Be careful not to overmix!
- Now put the batter into a piping bag and squeeze it into a donut pan. Pipe each donut about ¾ of the way full and bake at 350º F for 10-12 minutes.
- Now to make the Buttecream to coat the donuts. Normal donuts don’t have buttercream but I need something to coat the cake and make a smooth surface for the mirror cake.
- In a bowl, i’ll add 4 tbsp of unsalted butter at room temp, 2 cups of powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, some milk, and vanilla extract. I’ll mix it all together until it’s nice an fluffy.
- Once my donuts have cooled completely, I'll ice them and put them in the fridge so the buttercream could firm up.
- Now I’ll start working on my mirror glaze!
For the colored mirror glaze:Ingredients:
- 7 g Gelatin Powder
- 60 g Water
- 150 g corn syrup
- 150 g Sugar
- 75 g Water
- 100 g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 150 g white Chocolate
- food coloring
- In a bowl, i’ll bloom the gelatin powder with water.
- In a medium sauce pan, add sugar, corn syrup, and water. Bring to boil on medium high heat.
- In another bowl, add white chocolate, condensed milk, and bloomed gelatin.
- Pour heated syrup over and mix well. Using an immersion blender, mix well.
- Pour mixture into 4 bowls and add coloring. Mix well and cover with plastic wrap touching surface of glaze, and set aside.
- 4g of gelatin powder
- 30g of water
- 25g dark chocolate pieces
- 55g of water
- 35g of heavy cream
- 30g of cocoa powder
- 100g of granulated sugar
2. In a medium saucepan, add sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and water. Give it a good stir Add in the water, sugar, cocoa powder and heavy cream. Stir occasionally and wait till it boils.
3. One it boils, I’ll add the dark chocolate and stir until it dissolves. I’ll remove the saucepan from the heat.
4. Then add in the bloomed gelatin. Stir well until it has dissolved and then I’ll pour everything through a sieve into my bowl. If there’s any bubbles or visible chunks, put it through the sieve again.
I’ll let the glaze cool down for about 10 minutes and then it’s ready to pour over my donuts!
Ice donuts with buttercream to coat and put in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
Remove and pour glaze all over donuts. Go Team USA!