Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Love it, or hate it , current wedding. Cake trends!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Love it, or hate it , current wedding. Cake trends! - Page 6

post #76 of 127

A couple years ago my niece had a "barn wedding.” It was winter, but the attendants were clad in calico strapless sundresses dresses and cowboy boots and carried sunflowers. The bride wore a satiny strapless “dance hall girl” gown. The ceremony took place outside, and then all were ushered into the "barn" where we were served hamburgers, cafeteria style. No wedding cake--just cake pops. Here I thought my niece just had incredibly bad taste. Now, thanks to this thread, I have learned she was trendy!

post #77 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie789 View Post

"..........Now, thanks to this thread, I have learned she was trendy!"

 

that's a good perspective!  Wonder when the 50's fluffy poofy buttercream piped cakes will return?

 

ps: Kate, I laugh every time I think of those Madagascar Monkeys saying, "If you have pooh, fling it now."   I'd love to see that cake 

:D

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #78 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska View Post

that's a good perspective!  Wonder when the 50's fluffy poofy buttercream piped cakes will return?

ps: Kate, I laugh every time I think of those Madagascar Monkeys saying, "If you have pooh, fling it now."   I'd love to see that cake 
icon_biggrin.gif
And thanks to having a six year old, I hear that often! icon_biggrin.gif
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
post #79 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 810whitechoc View Post
 

I live in a beachside area so my idealised version of a barn looks pretty cool in my head, which got me wondering if your barn is the equivalent of a wedding in the local surf club (very big around here).  At the end of the day it's not it's not a very romantic place to have a wedding, it's just a surf club with memorabilia, surf club stuff etc on the walls.

Gotta love the surf club wedding , living on the Gold Coast this is where a lot of weddings are held.  Some of them are lovely but some of them ........

 

Of course the beach themed wedding cake is very popular here to say the very least. 

post #80 of 127

A Nazi wedding?  Who on earth would attend such an event?

A Hobo wedding?  Wait til they have a baby…I hear wet newspaper makes a most excellent baby wipe.

 

"I'm Catholic but I'm having a Jewish wedding."  No, you're not Catholic, you have officially disrespected 2 faiths.  The point of having a religious ceremony is because of your beliefs NOT because of a trend.  To associate religion with something that has nothing to do with faith is absurd. ..eventhough it is done all the time. 

 

My friend went to a vegan wedding.  Vegan food when prepared well can be delicious.  This food, however, was so bad everyone left early and went to the Burger King across the street.  Many of the guests were older people who love meat, so they were starving.  Sadly, the couple has parted ways, after only a few months.  I was told her new husband was caught eating steak in the back room during the reception…:-D

post #81 of 127

I was recently asked to do one of the "smeared frosting" cakes--I really think I'm going to tell the bride to have someone else do it--just don't want people thinking that's how I frost cakes.  Yes, I know it's a trend, but we're rather backward in this area..I'm still hearing comments on the "crooked" cake I made a few years ago,

post #82 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem View Post
 

I was recently asked to do one of the "smeared frosting" cakes--I really think I'm going to tell the bride to have someone else do it--just don't want people thinking that's how I frost cakes.  Yes, I know it's a trend, but we're rather backward in this area..I'm still hearing comments on the "crooked" cake I made a few years ago,

Sorry what is a smeared frosting cake? (maybe its called something else where I am?)

post #83 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem View Post
 

I was recently asked to do one of the "smeared frosting" cakes--I really think I'm going to tell the bride to have someone else do it--just don't want people thinking that's how I frost cakes.  Yes, I know it's a trend, but we're rather backward in this area..I'm still hearing comments on the "crooked" cake I made a few years ago,

 

 

maybe that works best for you--but another idea is that you could own it too -- if they're still talking about it isn't that good? maybe being the cutting edge caker could work for you? i don't know your area but being remembered for a special cake is pretty cool in my book--

 

do it do it!!! you mean a rough iced cake--It's so easy you will want to sell more of them! hahaha

if an inmate is walking down the stairs is that condescending
 
Reply
if an inmate is walking down the stairs is that condescending
 
Reply
post #84 of 127

Yeah-that's it..rough iced is the term. In my head, someone that wants a rough iced cake should ask their grandma to do it--or maybe their 12 year old niece--just kidding.  Guess I've seen too much of cake wrecks--now I'm thinking those people WANTED their cake to look like that. 

I'm just a hobby baker, so I want to do cakes that I like and are fun to do or showcase a new skill. Same with sheet cakes--go somewhere else unless you just need them for additional servings.

That's just me though..I'm not in it for the money..

post #85 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem View Post
 

Yeah-that's it..rough iced is the term. In my head, someone that wants a rough iced cake should ask their grandma to do it--or maybe their 12 year old niece--just kidding.  Guess I've seen too much of cake wrecks--now I'm thinking those people WANTED their cake to look like that. 

I'm just a hobby baker, so I want to do cakes that I like and are fun to do or showcase a new skill. Same with sheet cakes--go somewhere else unless you just need them for additional servings.

That's just me though..I'm not in it for the money..

 

 

gotcha--yeah i see where you're coming from-- 

if an inmate is walking down the stairs is that condescending
 
Reply
if an inmate is walking down the stairs is that condescending
 
Reply
post #86 of 127
Thread Starter 

I always refer to the "smeared frosting" as textured buttercream.  I do a lot of those here in Dallas, it goes right along with the burlap, lol.  Its easy as heck so I have no problem doing it if that's what the bride wants.  It can be artfully done and I think it looks pretty. JMO

"Making your special day, a whole lot sweeter!"

Reply

"Making your special day, a whole lot sweeter!"

Reply
post #87 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie View Post
 

I always refer to the "smeared frosting" as textured buttercream.  I do a lot of those here in Dallas, it goes right along with the burlap, lol.  Its easy as heck so I have no problem doing it if that's what the bride wants.  It can be artfully done and I think it looks pretty. JMO

We call it "rustic buttercream." You have to love it, no smoothing required!

post #88 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie View Post
 

I always refer to the "smeared frosting" as textured buttercream.  I do a lot of those here in Dallas, it goes right along with the burlap, lol.  Its easy as heck so I have no problem doing it if that's what the bride wants.  It can be artfully done and I think it looks pretty. JMO

We call it "rustic buttercream." You have to love it, no smoothing required!

 

Wow.  Who Knew.  My mom was actually an expert decorator with her home made "rustic buttercream" design all those years.

~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
~~We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons. ~Alfred E. Newman  
Flowers
(3 photos)
Halloween
(4 photos)
Cupcakes!
(18 photos)
Reply
post #89 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska View Post
 

 

Wow.  Who Knew.  My mom was actually an expert decorator with her home made "rustic buttercream" design all those years.

that's right! :D

 

I've also heard it called  "home-style" because of that. But now that "rustic" is all the rage, I guess it goes with that trend so that's why it got lumped in with that style.

post #90 of 127
Here's how the rustic burlapy bridal shower cake came out for my goddaughter - before and after adding the extras. It was actually pretty! 700

700
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Love it, or hate it , current wedding. Cake trends!