Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › How is this bouquet cake done?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How is this bouquet cake done?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

I was given this pic as a reference to do two bouquet cakes for twins.

I have done cupcake bouquets but this will be the first time doing it this way..

 

My question is not the flowers but the cake itself.. what shape is the cake? Is it carved? To what shape? Covered in BC or Fondant? How is it covered in plastic?

 

Also, if I were to do assorted  wired gumpaste flowers in a spray, so the girls could keep them as sovenier, would that work? Should I suggest to the mom?

 

Any tip/tricks/suggestions would be extremely helpful! TIA

 

 

Bouquet of flowers

 

Source: http://www.enticingcakes.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=28

post #2 of 29

I just recently purchased a Wilton pan that is a flower pot shape at Joann's with a 40% off coupon. I haven't tried it yet. The cavities are fairly small; there are six per pan. I am not sure if this is how the bouquets in the picture were done, but this pan would yield similar results.

 

Here is the pan on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0818-Easter-6-Cavity-Flower/dp/B00AELJ4Q6

post #3 of 29

Upon further inspection, those cakes look fairly large? Like maybe an 8 inch round??? You could carve a double layer 8 inch round, slanting it inwards at the bottom to make it look like it's in a flower pot...Just a thought!

post #4 of 29

Could they be heart shaped pans?

 

I think the idea of wired flowers to keep is lovely.
 

post #5 of 29

I would say it is just a heart shaped pan. And the plastic is weird. I don't like squishing my cakes, and regular buttercream roses would be so easy, I would be tempted to do it that way ;-) I love an easy cake, big profit every now and then! 

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascakebaker View Post

Upon further inspection, those cakes look fairly large? Like maybe an 8 inch round??? You could carve a double layer 8 inch round, slanting it inwards at the bottom to make it look like it's in a flower pot...Just a thought!

Thanks! I wanted it rather a bouquet than a pot.. but I am thinking too that it is atleast an 8 inch..

post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelensCake View Post

Could they be heart shaped pans?

 

I think the idea of wired flowers to keep is lovely.
 

I have been doing a lot of wired flowers for practice purpose. And they are for my neices..so I wont feel too bad giving them away to them :)

post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

I would say it is just a heart shaped pan. And the plastic is weird. I don't like squishing my cakes, and regular buttercream roses would be so easy, I would be tempted to do it that way ;-) I love an easy cake, big profit every now and then! 

Hmm.. I don't have a heart shaped pan.. I can see if I can buy one as an investment (Valentine's coming).. needed an excuse anyways..

What size would you suggest?

 

I know the plastic thing is weird.... maybe I can suggest to skip that part altogether. I have been working on wired flowers anyways so have a ton I can re-purpose and make some more.. Same here for easy cakes.. but this one is *complimentary* and special as it is for my twin nieces who turn 13

post #9 of 29

Of course - if you NEED to buy a heart-shaped pan you can do it!!! But if you don't - here's how you use one square shape and one round shape to make a heart!

 

Have fun!   Theresa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ3zKPX-ACmf3baYzUmbw-OuUTOptpHh2krREgxsRVbxRwqCIqGAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqUKKAZqQFlK3F3rXkfmE8mtctrFYmWewdxJhthTGkW6oBdAT2

post #10 of 29

I do like the idea of the plastic. To me , that is what makes it look like a bouquet of flowers. That is just my opinion though. They are both very pretty. I like the idea of making it in a heart shape pan. Using your coupons at Michaels or ACMoore, would make the cost very low. hth

post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf View Post

Of course - if you NEED to buy a heart-shaped pan you can do it!!! But if you don't - here's how you use one square shape and one round shape to make a heart!

Have fun!   Theresa
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ3zKPX-ACmf3baYzUmbw-OuUTOptpHh2krREgxsRVbxRwqCIqGAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqUKKAZqQFlK3F3rXkfmE8mtctrFYmWewdxJhthTGkW6oBdAT2
Oh wow!! Why didn't I think of that??? Ofcourse I want to improvise now.. icon_biggrin.gif
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 View Post

I do like the idea of the plastic. To me , that is what makes it look like a bouquet of flowers. That is just my opinion though. They are both very pretty. I like the idea of making it in a heart shape pan. Using your coupons at Michaels or ACMoore, would make the cost very low. hth

I guess the more I look at it, the more I am liking the idea too as you say, that's what's makes it look like a bouquet, but still weird though.. But I just don't seem to figure out how to put plastic(what kind) over it and how without ruining the cake? I was thinking of bc but fondant would probably stand well under plastic???
post #13 of 29

Click the link that you supplied under your picture of the cakes.  They are sugar flowers and the covering is not plastic wrap....it's clear cellophane which is also available at Joann's or Michael's.

post #14 of 29
It's possible that this could be done as a cupcake-cake, instead of using a heart shaped pan.

Life's too short to make cake pops.
___________________________________
www.sweetperfection.com.au

www.sweetperfectioncakes.blogspot.com.au/
www.facebook.com/sweetperfectioncakes (come visit sometime!)

Reply

Life's too short to make cake pops.
___________________________________
www.sweetperfection.com.au

www.sweetperfectioncakes.blogspot.com.au/
www.facebook.com/sweetperfectioncakes (come visit sometime!)

Reply
post #15 of 29

perhaps you could stick some long green stems adorned with a few leaves coming out the cellophane too

 

maybe

 

adorable cake

one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
 
Reply
one baker's never ever do is the next baker's 'i swear by this'
 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › How is this bouquet cake done?