How Is This Bouquet Cake Done?

Decorating By jiya11 Updated 10 Feb 2013 , 8:57am by jiya11

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 28

I was given this pic as a reference to do two bouquet cakes for twins.

I have done cupcake bouquets but this will be the first time doing it this way..

My question is not the flowers but the cake itself.. what shape is the cake? Is it carved? To what shape? Covered in BC or Fondant? How is it covered in plastic?

Also, if I were to do assorted  wired gumpaste flowers in a spray, so the girls could keep them as sovenier, would that work? Should I suggest to the mom?

Any tip/tricks/suggestions would be extremely helpful! TIA

Bouquet of flowers

Source: http://www.enticingcakes.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=28

27 replies
texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 28

I just recently purchased a Wilton pan that is a flower pot shape at Joann's with a 40% off coupon. I haven't tried it yet. The cavities are fairly small; there are six per pan. I am not sure if this is how the bouquets in the picture were done, but this pan would yield similar results.

Here is the pan on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AELJ4Q6/?tag=cakecentral-20

texascakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascakebaker Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 28

Upon further inspection, those cakes look fairly large? Like maybe an 8 inch round??? You could carve a double layer 8 inch round, slanting it inwards at the bottom to make it look like it's in a flower pot...Just a thought!

HelensCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HelensCake Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 28

Could they be heart shaped pans?

I think the idea of wired flowers to keep is lovely.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 28

I would say it is just a heart shaped pan. And the plastic is weird. I don't like squishing my cakes, and regular buttercream roses would be so easy, I would be tempted to do it that way ;-) I love an easy cake, big profit every now and then! 

jiya11 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascakebaker 

Upon further inspection, those cakes look fairly large? Like maybe an 8 inch round??? You could carve a double layer 8 inch round, slanting it inwards at the bottom to make it look like it's in a flower pot...Just a thought!

Thanks! I wanted it rather a bouquet than a pot.. but I am thinking too that it is atleast an 8 inch..

jiya11 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelensCake 

Could they be heart shaped pans?

I think the idea of wired flowers to keep is lovely.

I have been doing a lot of wired flowers for practice purpose. And they are for my neices..so I wont feel too bad giving them away to them :)

jiya11 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I would say it is just a heart shaped pan. And the plastic is weird. I don't like squishing my cakes, and regular buttercream roses would be so easy, I would be tempted to do it that way ;-) I love an easy cake, big profit every now and then! 

Hmm.. I don't have a heart shaped pan.. I can see if I can buy one as an investment (Valentine's coming).. needed an excuse anyways..

What size would you suggest?

I know the plastic thing is weird.... maybe I can suggest to skip that part altogether. I have been working on wired flowers anyways so have a ton I can re-purpose and make some more.. Same here for easy cakes.. but this one is *complimentary* and special as it is for my twin nieces who turn 13

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 28

Of course - if you NEED to buy a heart-shaped pan you can do it!!! But if you don't - here's how you use one square shape and one round shape to make a heart!

Have fun!   Theresa

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ3zKPX-ACmf3baYzUmbw-OuUTOptpHh2krREgxsRVbxRwqCIqGAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqUKKAZqQFlK3F3rXkfmE8mtctrFYmWewdxJhthTGkW6oBdAT2

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 3:49am
post #10 of 28

I do like the idea of the plastic. To me , that is what makes it look like a bouquet of flowers. That is just my opinion though. They are both very pretty. I like the idea of making it in a heart shape pan. Using your coupons at Michaels or ACMoore, would make the cost very low. hth

jiya11 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 28

A

Original message sent by theresaf

Of course - if you NEED to buy a heart-shaped pan you can do it!!! But if you don't - here's how you use one square shape and one round shape to make a heart!

Have fun!   Theresa [IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ3zKPX-ACmf3baYzUmbw-OuUTOptpHh2krREgxsRVbxRwqCIqGA[/IMG]images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqUKKAZqQFlK3F3rXkfmE8mtctrFYmWewdxJhthTGkW6oBdAT2

Oh wow!! Why didn't I think of that??? Ofcourse I want to improvise now.. :D

jiya11 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 28

A

Original message sent by icer101

I do like the idea of the plastic. To me , that is what makes it look like a bouquet of flowers. That is just my opinion though. They are both very pretty. I like the idea of making it in a heart shape pan. Using your coupons at Michaels or ACMoore, would make the cost very low. hth

I guess the more I look at it, the more I am liking the idea too as you say, that's what's makes it look like a bouquet, but still weird though.. But I just don't seem to figure out how to put plastic(what kind) over it and how without ruining the cake? I was thinking of bc but fondant would probably stand well under plastic???

Bunkergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunkergirl Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 2:16pm
post #13 of 28

Click the link that you supplied under your picture of the cakes.  They are sugar flowers and the covering is not plastic wrap....it's clear cellophane which is also available at Joann's or Michael's.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 28

AIt's possible that this could be done as a cupcake-cake, instead of using a heart shaped pan.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 10:48pm
post #15 of 28

perhaps you could stick some long green stems adorned with a few leaves coming out the cellophane too

maybe

adorable cake

jiya11 Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 12:06am
post #16 of 28

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

perhaps you could stick some long green stems adorned with a few leaves coming out the cellophane too

maybe

adorable cake

Good Idea... Hope it turns out as pretty..

Still contemplating on the flowers.. assorted or just roses? Gumpaste, Royal icing or BC.. ? Fondant cake or BC... So many decisions..

jiya11 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:29pm
post #17 of 28

Thanks everyone for the tips and tricks! I did mine a little differently than the original pics. All flowers are done on wires in gum paste. The girls will be preserving  the flowers in a shadowbox as a keepsake. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 28

well dang--blew that one out of the water!!!!

stunning!

jiya11 Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 8:06pm
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

well dang--blew that one out of the water!!!!

stunning!

Thanks for the compliment.. your words mean a lot to me!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:03pm
post #20 of 28

AWow, how much did you charge for those?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:13pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiya11 

...And they are for my neices..so I wont feel too bad giving them away to them :)

anna, she did it for family

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 10:50pm
post #22 of 28

jaya11,

Your cakes are perfect, even better than the originals! Kudos!

jiya11 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 2:30am
post #23 of 28

A

Original message sent by Annabadkescakes

Wow, how much did you charge for those?

These were for my neices.. it was their birthday gift. But that's a good question.. a few people asked me how much I would charge.. I dunno.. first time doing wired gp flowers and they took a lot of time.... What do you think?

jiya11 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 2:36am
post #24 of 28

A

Original message sent by shanter

jaya11, Your cakes are perfect, even better than the originals! Kudos!

Thanks a lot. I am my worst critic. I see a lot of imperfections. Also, I feel that it needed more filler flowers and leaves.. My cakes are FAR from perfect. I am a beginner and have to learn a lot from you all. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words .. it keeps me going :)

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 4:39pm
post #25 of 28

Looks amazing!  Your nieces will be so happy!  Thanks for sharing the finished products!

jiya11 Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 7:21pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf 

Looks amazing!  Your nieces will be so happy!  Thanks for sharing the finished products!

Thanks! They were thrilled :)

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 9 Feb 2013 , 9:01pm
post #27 of 28

Those are beautiful, that is some awesome work and I bet your nieces loved them.they will always remember this birthday for sure.

jiya11 Posted 10 Feb 2013 , 8:54am
post #28 of 28

A

Original message sent by Izzy Sweet

Those are beautiful, that is some awesome work and I bet your nieces loved them.they will always remember this birthday for sure.

Original message sent by remnant3333

You did an awesome job!!!

I am overwhelmed with all the positive feedback and encouragement. As I said, I am just a beginner working my way up to strive creating artwork and masterpieces like the rest of you , hopefully sometime. Thanks for all the support, tips and tricks along the way..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%