Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › cake pics with prices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cake pics with prices - Page 34

post #496 of 681

Hi, I'm from Australia and find this pricing thread really interesting. Fascinating how some people can charge so low with such beautiful work yet others are charging so much more for work thats nowhere near as clean and experienced. In oz our prices are definently higher but that may come partly down to ingredient cost being cheaper in USA? I'm curious to know how some of you manage to make a living with such low prices.

 

btw this is just an observation, I am not in business but am slowly but surely working towards it.  :-)

 

Pricing is something I've been working on for a while so some of these prices are scaring me lol.

post #497 of 681

sixinarow, thanks. You are making me feel a little better because that is essentially what I am doing already. I have a base $4.00/slice  price for fondant and do charge extra for the additional elements. I would like to charge extra for the ganache I use under fondant, but don't think my market would accept that. I live out in the country and the jobs are somewhat infrequent.

 

I do suffer from the feeling that people think custom cakes are expensive, (they are), and trying to justify that my time and talent are worth it. (I know that I couldn't afford one of my cakes....) I have made an effort not to undercut any local bakeries, but it is difficult to compare my cakes to theirs. 

 

This site does help and I gain a lot of knowledge from so many talented and successful people on here. Thank you for your input, it is appreciated.

 

Jan

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
post #498 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post

Absolutely!

Good to know. It did take forever to make them, not hard, just time consuming. I'm working on my pricing for my business and the input really helps!
post #499 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie80 View Post

Wow! I would love to charge $65 for a 3 layer 9" fondant cake. I'm in Chicago and my 2 layer 8" with fondant is about $120...I love the little ducklings tho' so adorable!

Whoa! Just 5 hours North and the price doubles! My pricing is comparable to St. Louis, I live about an hour south. I am not licensed yet, but am getting everything together and I only have one other bakery in my town. I've set my prices near the same as their's but of course I've made some changes. Some things will be more, some less. They do more cupcakes than specialty cakes.
post #500 of 681

Milkmade...did you recently post questions on how to do a RKT shark? I remember posting on a thread like that. Anyhow the shark is awesome...and the shells look so real. Good job.

 

Jackie...she is about the height of Barbie...give or take an inch

post #501 of 681

Batterup, no that wasn't my post. I saw it and was going to reply but saw that she was wanting something along the lines of a cupcake topper and didn't feel I could offer anything. Thanks for the compliments. As to the shark, I was told the first thing the birthday boy did was stick his finger into the mouth. It did kinda ask for it, lol.

 

Jan

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles on it.

Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby.
Reply
post #502 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlecakery View Post


Whoa! Just 5 hours North and the price doubles! My pricing is comparable to St. Louis, I live about an hour south. I am not licensed yet, but am getting everything together and I only have one other bakery in my town. I've set my prices near the same as their's but of course I've made some changes. Some things will be more, some less. They do more cupcakes than specialty cakes.

Hey, I just left Missouri! Anyhow, for specialty cakes yes it's quite costly. You have to factor in licensing, overhead, etc. not just the cost of ingredients and your time. I believe it's Jason? I think he's on this thread but he has some informative information from a blog he's started about this. I believe that's when some of the comments from the bakers on here may be a bit touchy with some of the hobbyist because they are indeed making a living from what they do. Even if you're not licensed and you're selling (taking donations) cakes it's your electricity you're running, gas from the stove/oven and most hobbyist don't factor that in so when you have "professional" specialty bakers they feel they're being undercut. I know you've caught all this by now tho' so OAN

 

I'm glad you're getting everything together, I wish you well with your cake endeavors. And IMO aside of this thread if there's only 1 bakery in your area, I definitely wouldn't make my prices comparable to theirs as they don't do what you do. If they specialize in cupcakes, let's keep it that way!

post #503 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie80 View Post

Hey, I just left Missouri! Anyhow, for specialty cakes yes it's quite costly. You have to factor in licensing, overhead, etc. not just the cost of ingredients and your time. I believe it's Jason? I think he's on this thread but he has some informative information from a blog he's started about this. I believe that's when some of the comments from the bakers on here may be a bit touchy with some of the hobbyist because they are indeed making a living from what they do. Even if you're not licensed and you're selling (taking donations) cakes it's your electricity you're running, gas from the stove/oven and most hobbyist don't factor that in so when you have "professional" specialty bakers they feel they're being undercut. I know you've caught all this by now tho' so OAN

 

I'm glad you're getting everything together, I wish you well with your cake endeavors. And IMO aside of this thread if there's only 1 bakery in your area, I definitely wouldn't make my prices comparable to theirs as they don't do what you do. If they specialize in cupcakes, let's keep it that way!

I've printed out Jason's whole blog. I may have missed it, but because I am not licensed, I put **I WOULD have charged $XXX.XX** Also, the costs I put do include overhead and other costs. I realize I would have WAY underpriced the ducks...

I do not charge for any cakes I make. I am only reimbursed for ingredients and I take the receipts to the person who contacted me for the order and only accept the exact amount that came out of my pocket for the ingredients. I am currently working on my business plan. For now, all my cakes are just for my portfolio.

 

I appreciate your opinion of the regarding the other bakery. They also do cakes, but they specialize in cake-pops, cupcakes, things like that. My plan was to only offer those IF the customer was also purchasing a cake.

post #504 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlecakery View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie80 View Post

Hey, I just left Missouri! Anyhow, for specialty cakes yes it's quite costly. You have to factor in licensing, overhead, etc. not just the cost of ingredients and your time. I believe it's Jason? I think he's on this thread but he has some informative information from a blog he's started about this. I believe that's when some of the comments from the bakers on here may be a bit touchy with some of the hobbyist because they are indeed making a living from what they do. Even if you're not licensed and you're selling (taking donations) cakes it's your electricity you're running, gas from the stove/oven and most hobbyist don't factor that in so when you have "professional" specialty bakers they feel they're being undercut. I know you've caught all this by now tho' so OAN

 

I'm glad you're getting everything together, I wish you well with your cake endeavors. And IMO aside of this thread if there's only 1 bakery in your area, I definitely wouldn't make my prices comparable to theirs as they don't do what you do. If they specialize in cupcakes, let's keep it that way!

I've printed out Jason's whole blog. I may have missed it, but because I am not licensed, I put **I WOULD have charged $XXX.XX** Also, the costs I put do include overhead and other costs. I realize I would have WAY underpriced the ducks...

I do not charge for any cakes I make. I am only reimbursed for ingredients and I take the receipts to the person who contacted me for the order and only accept the exact amount that came out of my pocket for the ingredients. I am currently working on my business plan. For now, all my cakes are just for my portfolio.

 

I appreciate your opinion of the regarding the other bakery. They also do cakes, but they specialize in cake-pops, cupcakes, things like that. My plan was to only offer those IF the customer was also purchasing a cake.

Honest to God, I don't care either way, but since you seem to, it is still "illegal" to accept reimbursement. Besides, how does 1 tsp of baking powder show up on the receipt? I would think the whole 210 gram container would? (end sarc)

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #505 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

Honest to God, I don't care either way, but since you seem to, it is still "illegal" to accept reimbursement. Besides, how does 1 tsp of baking powder show up on the receipt? I would think the whole 210 gram container would? (end sarc)

Maybe it's a way for people to circumvent the law ( or think they are) by only accepting "reimbursement for materials".

post #506 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

Honest to God, I don't care either way, but since you seem to, it is still "illegal" to accept reimbursement. Besides, how does 1 tsp of baking powder show up on the receipt? I would think the whole 210 gram container would? (end sarc)

Maybe it's a way for people to circumvent the law ( or think they are) by only accepting "reimbursement for materials".

Yeah, but after reading in EVERY.SINGLE.POST of hers, that she doesn't accept payment, the phrase that comes to mind is, "Lady doth protest too much" 

Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
Beginners, be sure to parrot advice and get your post count up as fast as you can. After all, it's not what you know, it's what people THINK you know.
Reply
post #507 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes View Post

Honest to God, I don't care either way, but since you seem to, it is still "illegal" to accept reimbursement. Besides, how does 1 tsp of baking powder show up on the receipt? I would think the whole 210 gram container would? (end sarc)

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #508 of 681
This thread is so far gone from the happy it was. Sad. We were doing so well having a civilized open discussion of how to price & the differences by region or skill.

Although this should be on a whole other one, just getting the cost of ingredients is illegal. It also undercuts the rest of us. THIS. Is the trouble that irritates those of us trying to make a living.

You do great work! Why would someone come to me & pay more when they can come to you & just pay the cost of ingredients?

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply

www.VeryDeliciousDesserts.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Delicious-Desserts/207874222593145

 

It's never "just cake!"

 

You may get a cake for $way to little but you won't get this cake!

Animal
(4 photos)
 
Reply
post #509 of 681

How is it illegal for someone to buy the ingredients for their cake and have someone else bake it? 

post #510 of 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts View Post



Although this should be on a whole other one, just getting the cost of ingredients is illegal. It also undercuts the rest of us. THIS. Is the trouble that irritates those of us trying to make a living.

You do great work! Why would someone come to me & pay more when they can come to you & just pay the cost of ingredients?

Yep.

*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
*Top 100 Designers in The USA, Brides Magazine, 2013*<---little ole' me!
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Birthday Cakes
(2 photos)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › cake pics with prices