Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Concerned about all these pricing threads....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Concerned about all these pricing threads.... - Page 3

post #31 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski

You are right on Texas sugar...I gotta say sometimes emotions do get outta hand on here. But I think everyone who takes the time to read or answer any questions does it with a big heart. I vote for 2010 to be a negative-free year on these forums. We have too much baking to do to get our egos involved! Now everybody sing with me "Don't Worry...be Happy..." I have some cakin to do, have a good day to everyone!! icon_biggrin.gif



That would be great, but people only want you to do things they way they do things. But I'm singing, Don't worry, be happy...woo...woo...woo
post #32 of 200
I still like the post Jackie made about such things.......for those who may want to refresh their memories - here is a link to it.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661107.html
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
Knowledge is a candle that when shared, doubles the light, but the insecure person believes knowledge is a candle that is diminished when it is split between two wicks.
Reply
post #33 of 200
I think it is usually a newbe posting there second post. On the first post we told them how nice this site is and how helpful everyone is. So they feel comfortable asking anything then they ask the dreaded question HOW MUCH TO CHARGE [they don't know its been asked a million times]
then instead of someone telling them to make sure they charge for there ingredients, time, size. What things are going for in there area. Instead we look at where they are from and say you cant bake in your home without even knowing if they are legal at least that was the last thread I seen on this topic. Maybe if someone made outline on [how] to charge for a cake we could give them a link to the answer. I read the answers some people give and I am sure the poster wished they had never asked that question.
And that's not what this site is about its about sharing knowledge.
Denise
Reply
Denise
Reply
post #34 of 200
I'm one of those newbs, and while I haven't asked 'The Pricing Question', I have asked 'The Wedding Question'. But I can see your point...I had plenty of helpful replies but I think it helped that I had a plan and was specific. I know (in theory, in my head) how to support the tiers, I can bake well and make some tasty cakes, I've made and used buttercream for yonks, so I was just getting ideas and checking I was on the right track.

Even I (huge newb that I am) read some threads and think 'Gee, have you looked into this at all??' or 'Have you used the search button??' because some people seem to ask some questions that are so basic it makes me wonder whether they've tried to sort it out for themselves at all, looked at a recipe or serving chart. Not trying to be mean, just sayin. Like I got taught in my stats course: when you ask a question, put in some effort and let people know how much you know so they can fill in the blanks, research a bit yourself and then ask about what you can't understand or are having trouble with. I mean questions like:

I'm making my first 2 tiered wedding cake next week. Will it feed 372 people? Um, I haven't baked anything before, what recipe should I use and how do I make buttercream, and man, how do yall get it so smooth? I'd also like some sugar flowers, but what do you make them out of?

I'm more than happy to ask things here because it seems like a really supportive (if blimmin honesticon_smile.gif board, but I think it helps to try and give yourself a leg up in the knowledge department first.
Everybody is somebody elses weirdo.
Reply
Everybody is somebody elses weirdo.
Reply
post #35 of 200
I don't think anyone is saying no one should ever ask a pricing question. I think this thread is a concern about those threads in which it appears someone has already committed to a cake or, in some cases, already made the cake, then pops on here to ask "How much should I charge for this cake?" It's almost inconceivable that someone makes or commits to a cake and THEN decides "Uh-oh! I should think about how much to charge for this dang thing!" dunce.gif

I think most of us think of CC as our online family and we worry about whether our "electronic family members" are getting properly compensated for their full value.

No one is saying "don't ask the question." it just worries us that a committment is being or has been made and pricing hasn't been resolved. We worry because we know what kinds of problems can pop up down the road.

I conceed that sometimes the question isn't asked properly and I'm not saying we need a "question police" to make sure it's asked in just the right way ..... but we only know what's been posted. If we read "How much should I charge for this cake?", there's no way for us to know the person REALLY means "It's my first time making gumpaste flowers and I need help on how to figure pricing for those."

And I've seen threads in which the OP has come back, with feelings hurt, and THEN explained how they had a base price and they've made stacked cakes before and they're not an idiot, but they just wanted to know how to price a cake with gumpaste flowers.

OH! We didn't know that, because all you said was "How much do I charge for this cake?" icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think it's the question that concerns us .... it's the process behind the question ..... committing to and/or making the cake and THEN asking "oh....what should I charge?"
post #36 of 200
Personally, I almost never leave the business forum for the specific reason that I have no interest in getting involved in pricing threads. You really don't have any business being in "business" if you don't know what your costs and target profit margin are, and those are the only two factors you need to know to determine price.
Scratch bakers of the world UNITE !!
Inrideo ergo sum ~ I snark therefore I am.
Cake or Death?......Cake Please!
Reply
Scratch bakers of the world UNITE !!
Inrideo ergo sum ~ I snark therefore I am.
Cake or Death?......Cake Please!
Reply
post #37 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski

... But I think everyone who takes the time to read or answer any questions does it with a big heart. I vote for 2010 to be a negative-free year on these forums. We have too much baking to do to get our egos involved! Now everybody sing with me "Don't Worry...be Happy..." I have some cakin to do, have a good day to everyone!! icon_biggrin.gif



That would be great, but people only want you to do things they way they do things. But I'm singing, Don't worry, be happy...woo...woo...woo



Oh, how I hate that song. It's mind control.

On topic...The first thing people should ask isn't "how much should I charge" it should be something about whether they can legally sell cakes in their area. If yes, then they should think about whether they have the stomach for making this into a business. I think the bigger issue for people who aren't confident about pricing is that they think that decorating cakes is so much fun and would be a great business. It's fun if it's a hobby, it's work if it's a business. (It can also be fun, but there's more work involved than people think)

If you want to make money at this, you have to run it like a business, which includes a lot of not-fun stuff like paperwork icon_mad.gif And I assume that if you're trying to figure out how much to charge, you want to make money. If you don't, just charge the cost of your ingredients. And believe me, you'll stop finding it to be such a fun hobby when all the cheapos find out that you're way undercharging and make a beeline for your door.
post #38 of 200
I dont think anyone here is trying to make anyone feel stupid.

I think its like... would you go to a store and order a couch, without knowing how much it costs?

Also Without knowing your pricing first, its setting yourself up to be screewed, Cuz then people either A. Say, Well you didnt tell me a price so I thought it was free
Or
B. Say, Well thats way too much, Im not paying you that much for a cake!

Its just not good business to not knwo your own product pricing before you sell it.

icon_smile.gif
post #39 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Its just not good business to not knwo your own product pricing before you sell it.icon_smile.gif



It's not business at all. I don't know what you call it.

Mike
post #40 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Its just not good business to not knwo your own product pricing before you sell it.icon_smile.gif



It's not business at all. I don't know what you call it.

Mike



Ya exactly!
post #41 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

Its just not good business to not knwo your own product pricing before you sell it.icon_smile.gif



It's not business at all. I don't know what you call it.

Mike



Ya exactly!



Ditto-rooski.
post #42 of 200
yeah I'm still new to this and charge hardly anything b/c I don't know how the cake is gonna turn out. I've only charged 12 dollars, which just covers the ingredients and supplies lol so I'm putting all my time in these cakes for free.

(takes me about at least 6 hours to do one cake) icon_sad.gif
post #43 of 200
Thread Starter 
Wow you all have been busy whilst I was working icon_wink.gif

I didn't start this thread because I wanted to make anyone feel like an idiot or because I'm aggravated after reading so many pricing threads.

I started this thread in the hope that it will get some people thinking about the fact that it takes a hell of a lot more then baking a cake to run a cake business.

When I opened my Salon 15 yrs ago this month, I didn't wait until I was finished with my first haircut to think about what the heck I was going to charge my client.

When I opened my baking business 6 yrs ago, I didn't bake my first cake and then wonder what I should charge.

Before opening ANY kind of business one needs a solid business plan....if you don't have one prepared beforehand, you're not ready to open that business.

Nobody can tell anybody what to charge for their cakes.....that's something they need to figure out on their own.

I hope this thread will get some people thinking with a "business" mind, instead of just a "baker's" mind.

THAT was my intention, because I hate to see people go into something blindly and then get screwed.
post #44 of 200
After reading many posts about pricing, as well as posting some of my own, it seems to me like this sparks a debate of pro vs. newbie (and I'm on the wrong side. lol). While the pros "get" the logistics of the business side, newbies (I'm guilty as well icon_redface.gif ) think more like consumers. Or at least, that is what I've come to realize about myself. Would I want to pay $200+ for a birthday cake my kids are gonna tear up, h*** NO! lol. But then I gotta take myself away from thinking like a consumer and thinking like a businesswoman, and realizing its the way of the world: you get what you pay for. And then I think, sure, if I had the money, why wouldn't I want something better and nicer.

I think it also depends on personal experience. Many newbies are brand new to the world of baking/decorating. I'm sure if, growing up, my mother was a master cake decorator, I'd be a lot more informed of the other side besides the "fun" part of business. And when you think about it, what other resource besides here are you going to find such a wealth of information on the business end of cake decorating? Even Wilton classes only teach the decorating part.

Then, the conversation (as I have seen a lot) goes to the TV shows. icon_mad.gif While many people have openly admitted they decided to start baking because of the TV shows, that doesn't apply to every newbie. The rest of us just had bad timing finding this website. Personally, I found the TV shows because I had already been dreaming of starting my own bakery. I was working on going to a culinary school and focusing on pastries, so I started watching food network a lot. When I had to make the choice of my kids over culinary school, I decided to go to school for business and do the culinary stuff on my own.

I think this is one of those topics, nobody will every 100% agree on. And its really not something to get all in a huff about. If you don't like those pricing posts, there is no requirement for you to click on the link. But I also agree that, after you make the cake, its a little late to be thinking about what you should charge for it. The way I see it, is I don't start making the cake unless I know why its worth if for me to take time I could be spending with my girls.

JMO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Cake and Kids: You make one and swear you'll never do it again. But before you know it, you got another one in the oven.
Reply
Cake and Kids: You make one and swear you'll never do it again. But before you know it, you got another one in the oven.
Reply
post #45 of 200
You know, I may have to revert to the answer I gave to one of those Pricing Qs "where I was so mean." (phbth)

If you are not licensed, (and you have to be in your state to sell cakes) then the price is $0.

If you are licensed then price out your ingredients, survey the competition and compensate yourself fairly. But you should have computed the per serving charge before you went into "business."

I must remember to stay over here in the Biz Forum (puppies and rainbow free zone). I bruised a newbie in another forum answering a truly dumb question. Come on after 5k+ responses, I think I can recognize a question that needed a lot more thought before hitting the submit button.

I think I'm in a mood again. I'll probably get flamed for this one too.
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
Answers to the most often asked questions re: SPS. SPS instructions are on Page 15 of the Sticky at the top of the Cake Decorating Forum. Supplies can be ordered from Oasis Supply, Global or BakeryCrafts.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cake Decorating
Cake Central › Cake Forums › Cake Talk › Cake Decorating › Concerned about all these pricing threads....