Hey- did any of you see the birthday card that showed a cat scratching himself and he was saying " I wanted to make you a birthday cake from scratch"...then in the inside.." I scratched all day, but still didnt have enough to make a cake!" LOL...okay, that's really lame!!
I'm sorry!! This "from scratch" thread just made me think of it!!
I'm adding a cake recipie too!!
This cake is pretty dense, and I think it would be great for carving...it's really really moist, and has great taste and texture!! Now I want some!!!
2.5 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/4 cup cinnamon...I would definately cut this back!! It was quite noticable!!
1 stick margarine
4 oz. vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/3 cup cocoa, dutch process is the best!!!
4 oz buttermilk
1/3 cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1. Sift first four ingredients into mixing bowl
2. stir margarine, oil, water, and cocoa together in saucepan
3. Heat on low until melted
4. Mix buttermilk, eggs, and applesauce together, Add sugar.
5. Add sifted ingredients to egg mixture. Beat until all lumps are gone.
6. Using rubber spatula, slowly stir cocoa mixture into batter.
7. Pour batter into greased and flowered pan, and bake at 350 for about 40 minutes...
This makes enough batter for (2) 8" square pan.
I hope you can use this, it has such a great texture!!! Just make sure you cut down the cinnamon or else that's pretty much all you can taste!!