Posted by stephanie214This is a true molding icing with a lemony flavor.
Satin Icing (Fondant)
- 4 tablespoons butter 4 tablespoons lemon juice 6 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted a few drops of food coloring
- 1. Place the butter and lemon juice in a small saucepan over a gentle heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the butter has melted.
- 2. Add 2 cups of the confectioner's sugar and heat gently, stirring, until dissolved. When the mixture begins to simmer at the sides of the pan, increase the heat slightly and cook for 2 minutes until it boils gently; do not oveerboil at this stage or the icing will be too hard.
- 3. Remove the pan from the heat and add 2 cups more confectioners' sugar. Beat thoroughly with a wooden spoon, then turn the icing into a mixing bowl.
- 4. Gradually mix in enough of the remaining confectioners' sugar to give a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a surface dusted with confectioners' sugar and knead until it is smooth. Add color, if using.
- 5. Wrap the ball of icing in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. To use, roll out and use as fondant molding paste.