Thekey to this pastillage recipe is to weigh everything PRECISELY and to have all of your tools laid out and ready to go!
- 500 grams powdered sugar (if 6x, you must sift, if 10x, sifting isn’t necessary)
- 50 grams cornstarch
- 50 milliliters (or grams, by weight) white vinegar
- 4 sheets gelatin, bloomed in cold water
- 1. mix powdered sugar and cornstarch together in bowl of stand mixer
- 2. Squeeze excess water from bloomed gelatin, place into vinegar, and heat gently to melt gelatin
- 3. Pour liquid into dry and mix with paddle until combined
- 4. Roll and cut immediately. If not using right away, wrap well in plastic that has been rubbed with shortening and cover with a damp towel (this recipe should be used the day it is made however and does not keep well).
- If your pastillage seems too wet/loose/soft, add about 150 gms more powdered sugar, then wrap well and stick in the freezer for 10-15 minutes (but not much longer) and it should be fine
- If it’s too dry. heat some white vinegar in the micro until very hot and add a little at a time until the right consistency is reached.
- You can cut these on cake circles or a sheet pan (but a wooden board is best) and leave them there to dry. The key is to cut them and leave them to dry on a single surface without moving until at least one side is dry, then flip over to let the other side dry. If you try to move it before that you may get wrinkling/rippling.
- good luck… PM me if you have problems or questions!
would you recomend this pastillage for making bows that will need to dry hard to use as decorations?