This lemon cake lives up to it's reputation, sour and sweet. The "secret ingredient" is a must for true lip puckering sour-ness. Bake this for the lemon lovers in your life.
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 stick butter – melted
- 1 c “real Lemon” lemon juice
- 3/4 c “Sour Lemonade” snow cone syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- Sift together flour, sugar and cake mix, set aside.
- Combine sour cream, butter, juice, syrup and extract.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet.
- May need to scrape down sides of the bowl once.
- Pour into greased/floured cake pans. I used a 9×13 at 350 degrees for 30 mins.
- Ice with any icing – I used my regular butter cream icing with 1/4 c of the snow cone syrup added. Great with lemon curd or raspberry filling.
I love VERY tart lemon flavor and I had a customer request a VERY tart lemon cake. It uses snowcone syrup that can be bought almost anywhere – I found it at Wal-mart. This cake is great with plain butter cream icing and even better with lemon curd filling and lemon butter cream icing.
ENJOY! Pucker up!
Does this use the new, smaller size cake mix or the older 18.25 oz.?
So when do you add the eggs???
I made this cake this past weekend and it was a HIT. VERY good!! I want to add that I could not find the snow-cone syrup so I used frozen from concentrate Lemonade. I also baked it in a half sheet, cookie sheet pan. To my surprise, it baked even, lol.. did not puff up in the middle, which is good because I poured real buttercream over the top as soon as it came out of the oven. Everyone at the party could not stop talking about it. Thank you for sharing. It is my go to lemon cake recipe from now on. Just to note, I did not put any lemon flavoring in my buttercream icing, just vanilla. I also held out some of the cake batter to make 6 cupcakes. Perfect! This recipe is a keeper!
Login To Leave A Comment