If you are new to the petit fours arena, do not be intimidated. Most of the “oohs” and “aahs” of this type of work comes from the decorations and attention to detail to each item. One way to make a good impression is to invest in the silicone flexipan/fleximolds to make the impossible possible. The use of gelatin helps this fluid mass maintain it’s shape; but not forever. This recipe is a pate a bomb batter which slightly warmed mascarpone cheese and whipped cream is folded into. TEMPERATURE IS VERY IMPORTANT IN THIS RECIPE SO PLEASE READ THROUGH THE RECIPE.
Mascarpone cream-bring to 90F (32C) 1 lb 5 oz.
Egg yolks-room temp. 6 oz.
Sugar, granulated 8 oz.
Water 4 oz.
Gelatin sheets, soaked and dissolved 4 each
Heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks 16 oz.
1. Place the mascarpone cheese in a large bowl.
2. Make a bombe batter by whipping the egg yolks, sugar and water over a double boiler until it triples in volume. Once achieved, remove from the double boiler.
3. Gently add the melted gelatin sheets to the bombe batter and whip gently until the mixture cools to about 100F (38C).
4. In one step add and fold the bombe batter into the mascarpone cheese. Fold gently until almost smooth.
5. Finally fold in the soft whipped cream. DO NOT OVERMIX!!