This recipe is vegan as written. It is considered a white cake, but usually does not turn out looking “white.” It can also be altered to nearly any flavor by changing the liquid. It could even be made into a chocolate cake by adding 1 cup cocoa powder (and reducing flour by 1/2 cup) although I have never tried this. I have used this cake several times for wedding cakes and it its quite stable. It is a moist cake that is easy to work with and decorate. Flax seeds can be ground in a blender or clean coffee grinder.
Vegan white cake
- 3 1/2 cups AP Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Vegan Sugar (a little more or less to taste is ok)
- 1/2 cup Vegan Margarine (I only use Earth Balance Margarine
3 tablespoons Apple Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ground Flax Seeds (mixed with 2 tablespoons
- water and set aside)
- 2 cups Liquid (I use 1/2 soymilk, 1/2 carbonated water or
- any flavor thin fruit puree/juice, or all 3)
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract or other flavoring (optional)
- 3 tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and
- flour cake pan(s) or line with parchment.
- 2) Sift together first three ingredients (Drys).
- 3) Cream together sugar and margarine. Add apple sauce
- and flax seeds.
- 4) Mix together all other ingredients (Wet’s) except vinegar.
- 5) Alternate mixing Dry’s and Wet’s into sugar mixture,
- starting and ending with Dry’s.
- 6) Right before putting into the oven, mix the white vinegar
- into the batter and pour into cake pan(s) using slightly
- less that recommended amounts for each pan.
- 7) Bake for 35-45 minutes or until cakes test done (toothpick
- test or other).
Vegan and yummy!