I have tried various Mock Custard recipes on here and have found them to be a little too runny for my liking. I wanted a more âstifferâ body custard (more of a bakery style custard) that didnât require a buttercream underlay and didnât absorb into the cake. After trial and error I found the liquid ratio to be too high. I have had much success with this recipe as a cake filling ( still use a STIFF dam on the cake). This was enough to fill a 12Ã18 cake. Being a dairy filling it is recommended to refrigerate your cakes and any left over filling.
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1-3 tbsp milk (if needed)
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 boxes of INSTANT pudding mix, any flavor
1. In Electric Mixing bowl add 2 cups heavy whipping cream & 1 cup milk
2. add 3 boxes of instant pudding mix
3. add confectioners sugar (I donât sift)
4. mix on low speed till all is incorporated
5. turn up the speed to med/high until it all thickens. Scrape down the sides of your bowl
6. Taste the thickened mixture. If it feels âgrittyâ add milk 1 tbs AT A TIME, mixing between additions.
7. once you have a smooth consistency, place in the fridge and allow to set up.
The Pudding box I use is 3.4 ounces. HTH
I recently got an order that is due for this Saturday for a yellow cake with a custard and fresh bananas filling. Any suggestions on how to do this? Also, what do you mean by this "STIFF dam" ?
Login To Leave A Comment