I found this recipe on a great site that of course I canât remember anymore. It uses a cake mix and it very good great for fall! I have made it with and without the pecan to accommodate nut allergies. I hope you all enjoy. It goes very well with a Honey and Spice Buttercream that I will also post.
- 1 box(es) chocolate cake mix (such as Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devilâs Food Mix)
- 2 teaspoon(s) pumpkin-pie spice
- 2/3 cup(s) pumpkin
- 1/4 cup(s) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup(s) finely ground pecans
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Lightly butter and flour either one 10-cup Great Pumpkin Pan (available from Williams-Sonoma; williamssonoma.com) or 3 round cake pans â 6, 8, and 10 inches. (If making the tiered cake, plan also to double the recipe.) Take care to cover all crevices and corners.
3. Place all of the ingredients plus 3/4 cup water in a large mixing bowl and beat, using a mixer set on medium-high speed, until batter is smooth.
4. Fill the cake pan(s). (For Great Pumpkin Pan, divide batter evenly between the two halves; for round cake pans, divide batter evenly.) Bake until a skewer inserted into the center tests clean â about 35 minutes for the pumpkin cakes; 25 minutes for the 6-inch, 30 minutes for the 8-inch, and 35 minutes for the 10-inch layers of the tiered cake. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting or decorating.
5. Trim the pumpkin cake halves before stacking together to form the pumpkin-shaped cake. Stack tiers, spreading frosting between layers. To make the simple frosting shown above, whisk 1 cup confectionersâ sugar with 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice until itâs the consistency of molasses. Drizzle over cake.
No Comments Yet
Login To Leave A Comment