For those who don’t like fondant, here is a recipe for Rolled Buttercream that can be used to cover a cake or on cookies. Upside: Most of the work can be done in your Kitchen Aide!
Rolled Buttercream (Fondant Alternative)
- 1 C Shortening
- 1 C Light Corn Syrup
- 1 tsp. Clear Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Lemon Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Orange Oil
- 8 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
- Place Shortening into a large mixer bowl and cream on medium speed until smooth.
- While mixer is running, add Corn Syrup, Vanilla, Salt, Lemon and Orange Oil and mix until well blended.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add about 2/3 of the powdered sugar until soft dough is formed.
- Turn mixture out onto surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- Knead in the reamining 1/3 of the sugar. Continue kneading until buttercream is smooth.
- If it is sticky add more icing sugar, a little at a time. chill for a few hour. Before use, bring rolled buttercream to room temp.
Yields: 6 1/2 cups is sufficient to cover two 10″ round cakes 3″ high.
Storage: One week at toom temp. One month refrigerated. Three months frozen.