What Filling Do You Use For A Outdoor Wedding?

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 23 May 2009 , 5:21am by DreamCakesOnline

topaz176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
topaz176 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 35

I am looking for a filling that can stay out with no problems.
Any Ideas or experience please share.

34 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:26am
post #2 of 35

It depends on the temperaturein your area I guess. Buttercream is the only thing I can think of as of now.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:42am
post #3 of 35

It'll obviously be better to use something that does not need refrigeration,(cream cheese,fresh cream),but maybe like regular buttercream.

topaz176 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

It depends on the temperaturein your area I guess. Buttercream is the only thing I can think of as of now.

How do you flavour this ?

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 35

Maybe jam? I have a cake recipe that uses raspberry preserves as the filling. I dont think that needs to stay refrigerated...but I could bt wrong. I have heard of a BC jam mixture used as filling as well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 35

Any of the sleeve fillings.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 35

Yes, as Debi said, any filling purchased in the sleeve will work just fine, as will jam. Stay away from fresh fruit, cream cheese things like that.

topaz176 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Do you know of any home made recipe? Or you have to always order?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 35

you can flavour bc with anything. melted choc/ cocoa, cookie crumbs, choc chunks, mix it with jam, fruit zest, fruit juice, extracts/essence/flavourings, esspresso...
xx

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 35

I have used the sleeve fillings and mixed them with Rich's Better Creme (you can purchase at Sam's Club). I lightly fold some of the sleeve filling into the Better Creme. It makes for a nice light filling. People seem to like the taste of the two fillings mixed together.
Sandy

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 35

I agree with Sandy1 - I've used the Rich's Bettercream and mixed in the sleeve fillings - work's fine.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy1

I have used the sleeve fillings and mixed them with Rich's Better Creme (you can purchase at Sam's Club). I lightly fold some of the sleeve filling into the Better Creme. It makes for a nice light filling. People seem to like the taste of the two fillings mixed together.
Sandy

Which one do you use, the one in the can or the carton?

Janny42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janny42 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 35

I know this is a stupid question, but what is sleeve filling?

sandy1 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 35

I get the Better Creme that is already whipped. It comes in a large bucket. I freeze the extra that I don't use.
S

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #15 of 35

Thanks so much, I've never tried that one before. I always whip it myself. I have seen it in the warehouse store, looks like a 2 gallon bag in the freezer section.

indydebi Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

Quote:

No, to both. I don't use homemade fillings and I don't have to order sleeve fillings because my local cake suppy shop keeps a GREAT inventory of these.

sandy1 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #17 of 35

Janny42, sleeve fillings are fillings, i.e. fruits or creams that come in a plastic sleeve. You can purchase them on line or at cake decorating supply store. Just cut the end of the sleeve and squeeze out the amount you what to spread. My local store carries strawberry, raspberry, bannana cream, cream cheese, blueberry etc....

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz176

Quote:

The brand of sleeve fillings(can't think of the name) I saw on the web said it needed to be stored in the fridge icon_confused.gif So what kind are you all using ?

indydebi Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #19 of 35

I use these: http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx (put "filling" in the search field at the top of the screen).

It says they must be refrigerated AFTER opening. My cake supply store keeps them just on the shelf, and I store them just on a shelf until they're opened.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

you can flavour bc with anything. melted choc/ cocoa, cookie crumbs, choc chunks, mix it with jam, fruit zest, fruit juice, extracts/essence/flavourings, esspresso...
xx

What kind of jam do you use...do you use smuckers. the kind you use for toast? Will this work on topsy turvy's?

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:09am
post #21 of 35
Quote:

I use these: http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx (put "filling" in the search field at the top of the screen).

It says they must be refrigerated AFTER opening. My cake supply store keeps them just on the shelf, and I store them just on a shelf until they're opened.

Thanks I will go check it out!
Soooo let me see If I got this right... sleeve filling are fine to stay at room temp if mixed with buttercream or used alone? But once they are opened the must be in the fridge...LOL I'm still confused icon_redface.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #22 of 35

I'm confused, too! So, they're shelf-stable as long as they're sealed, but as soon as they're opened, they have to be refrigerated.

Does that mean that, if you use this filling in a cake, then the cake must be refrigerated? If so, that wouldn't work for an outdoor wedding with reception.

indydebi Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #23 of 35

i don't refrigerate my cakes wiht these fillings.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I'm confused, too! So, they're shelf-stable as long as they're sealed, but as soon as they're opened, they have to be refrigerated.

Does that mean that, if you use this filling in a cake, then the cake must be refrigerated? If so, that wouldn't work for an outdoor wedding with reception.

I buy the sleeve fillings (probably from the same place that Indydebi buys hers (cause I go up to Indianapolis to get it) although, no where near as much since mine is for personal use). Anyway, as Indydebi said, the sleeves of filling of are just laying out on the shelves. I just leave them on the shelf until I'm ready to use it too.

I specifically asked the lady that works there and she told me that once the sleeve has been opened, the sleeve itself has to be refrigerated. HOWEVER, the filling in the cake (that came from the sleeve) is fine in the cake for several days without refrigeration. After 3 of 4 days or so, you will want to refrigerate it. So that's more for people who have taken a wedding cake home or something. Anyway, for what it's worth...that's what the shop lady told me when I asked about it. thumbs_up.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:

Debbie, Does that mean like the Barvarian creme & Creme cheese too?

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 20 May 2009 , 6:56pm
post #26 of 35

I'm sure the reason they say you should refrigerate the opened package is because it will keep longer...I've heard for like 6 weeks or more! and you don't have to refrigerate the actual cake if you use the fillings from a sleeve - yes, even the cream cheese flavoricon_smile.gif Those sleeve fillings are so good and easy. I usually mix buttercream with them to thicken them up a little. And those sleeves go a long way! My local grocery store even has them.

laurabeth595 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth595 Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #27 of 35

i would say any sort of perserve. strawberry is always a good one. or a bavarian/ parisan filling. but this comes premade at my work so i dont know how to make it.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #28 of 35

Becky52 which grocery store carries the sleeve fillings by you? Do they look like the long sleeves or or they packaged differently, I would love to be able to get them at the grocery storeicon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Becky52 which grocery store carries the sleeve fillings by you? Do they look like the long sleeves or or they packaged differently, I would love to be able to get them at the grocery storeicon_smile.gif

Yes me too!

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #30 of 35

I mix buttercream with liqueurs for a quick and easy that can stay out. I picked up a bottle of "creamaretto" a creamy, baileys consistency amaretto in the clearance bin at a liquor store. This bottle has gone a long ways and always gets tons of compliments. Kahlua and Bailetys work well too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%