Working With Babies Around

Lounge By costumeczar Updated 15 Jun 2016 , 10:13pm by Natka81

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 16

I've completely lost my ability to get anything done while dealing with a baby at the same time. I'm babysitting my little cousin who's about 8 or 9 months and I swear I don't know how I got anything done when my kids were babies. I started my wedding cake business when my daughter was 5 months old and my son was 3 yrs, and after today I'm wondering how the $&%% did I manage that?

15 replies
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 16

It's crazy but you just do that's life as you know it! My boys are 6 and 8 and some days I wonder how on earth I'll get anything done but I do and they are really independent and self sufficient. I often wonder how productive I'll be once my boys are grown or close to it although I'm not rushing it I'm enjoying them being little. But to start over with a little little one I would probably be completely useless lol my hats off to those who have little ones and run a business :)

my friend has a 2 year old and I get worn out watching her chase him from here to there lol  I'm definitely content with the two kids I have no more babies for me!!

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 16

I have a 3 year old. A lot of work gets done when she's sleeping or at one of her grandmother's houses, haha. 

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 16

I had to cut back on orders.  Not enough free time (or energy) to get anything done.  He's almost 2 now, so I am hoping I can pick back up here soon.  Unless I do something stupid, like have another one  O.o

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Jun 2016 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 16

I started my cake business with a teenager and 2 grandkids, 1 and 3. I think my teenager was worse.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 16

Oh my goodness, I babysat for the first time in 15 years and it was tough! 3 months old and i couldn't even manage dinner much less an elaborate cake. Young mother/bakers/decorators have my utmost respect!

KTKTKDKaKeS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTKTKDKaKeS Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 16

I have a six, 3.5, and 1 year old.  Working in the kitchen is always interesting!! ❤️[postimage id="4217" thumb="900"]

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 16

I'd hate to go through that.  I didn't start decorating until my girls were teens - my 1st cake was the older ones' wedding cake.

The only thing Ican say is that God gives us the strength and grace we need when we need it!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 16

I used to brag that I could hold a baby, cook dinner and read a book at the same time. But decorating a cake? Nope, can't do anything else.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 16

Quote by @costumeczar on 1 day ago

..........I swear I don't know how I got anything done when my kids were babies. .......

because you were 1,000% responsible for your own little ones, and accountable only to yourself.

Any dealings with other peoples little ones may bring you trouble and woe, even when you do things 1,000% perfectly & exactly the same as you did with your own children.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 16

haha, you're probably right @MBalaska ‍. I'm lucky that my cousin trusts me since my own kids are grown up and I can point to them and say "see, I did okay." :) Plus, my daughter is obsessed with the baby, so when he comes over and she's home I basically don't see him because she hogs him. She had to go to school yesterday in the morning for her last exam, so I had the baby by myself for the first part of his visit. I got nothing done other than being drooled on.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 16

God bless you.  I have trouble getting cakes done with ANYONE in a 20 ft radius of me, never mind a baby.  

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 16

I learned how to bake cakes from my grandma, but only got into  decorating when my first granddaughter was 2. I made a 3D cheetah cake, this was her favorite animal, and I was hooked. Since then granddaughter no. 2 was born and sadly their dad was  killed in a car accident. So when my daughter works, I watch the kids on a regular basis.  The almost 2yr old is in the high chair when I'm working on my cakes and the 5 yr old takes out her play dough, and whatever I'm making, she will make her own version including cake toppers. lol I only make cakes for friends and family, I can't imagine what it would be like to do this for paying customers, and take care of little kids. Takes me a week to work 1 cake and then I need a rest. lol

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 16

@carolinecakes ‍ You are making sweet sweet memories and that is better than any old business.  Maybe some day the 5 year old will start a biz and you can work with her :)

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 10:02pm
post #15 of 16

@Jinkies ‍ you know the other day she said she wanted to do cakes when she grows up. She's very artistic. Thanks, that's so true.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 15 Jun 2016 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 16

Sometimes I have to wake up at 5:30 am so I can get  some order done before kids wake up  and usually  work when my 4 year old takes a nap. Staying up even until 11:00 pm is not  an option for me, so trying to find time here and there. With my 5 children the worst age of my kids was from 1 year old until 5 years old. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%