Leftover Cake Domes After Leveling Cake?

Baking By ssmore Updated 1 Sep 2015 , 4:34pm by LeanneW

ssmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssmore Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 3:11am
post #1 of 22

I try not to get any dome on cakes, but somehow i always get it. if i   bake 2 to3 cakes per week, i end up with lot of leftover cake after leveling. no idea what to do with it, any suggestions? 

21 replies
newbiebaker1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbiebaker1 Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 3:38am
post #2 of 22

Cake balls!

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 3:52am
post #3 of 22

I do cake pops with them!  It's pure profit!

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 22

Mix up a box of your favorite pudding and layer scraps with pudding and top with whipped cream for dessert.  My kids favorite!

ssmore Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 22

thanks you all, done all of these before, my kids arent fan of sweets, fed all neighbors, friends and guests, anything beyond that? laughing.png

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 22

I just throw what little trimmings i have away.  With a combination of magicake strips and having figured out the weight of batter I need for each pan from each of my recipes, I only end up trimming 1/8 to 1/4 inch of cake of maximum.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 22

Have you tried using the insulated baking strips around the pan, flower nail, lowering the oven temp tricks to eliminate or greatly reduce domes?

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 22

In local bakeries they throw them in the food processor then take the crumbs and bake them low in the oven a sheet pan. Then it becomes cake crumbs for decorating the sides of simple cakes... like this:

Crumbs_2.png

ssmore Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 22

i never used strips, i guess i should try those, also Minabakes i like your idea too. thanks all cakers.

Winkinpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winkinpa Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 22

Two suggestions -

First, I have found using heating nails to be the best way to keep my cakes pretty flat.  I use four even in an 8" round.   Obviously the bigger the cake the more I use.  My little trick is that I grease and flour my pan, then I take the nails and pierce them through my parchment paper, then grease the parchment AND the nails.  The reason is that this makes sure the nails are not imbedded in my poor cake!  Best source for these is the Webstaurant website.  Super cheap! http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ateco-909-1-1-4-flower-nail-9-august-thomsen/144909.html.

Second suggestion is to make the best bread pudding ever... use cake scraps (even with frosting) in place of bread.  It's supposedly a fancy restaurant trick.  All I can say is that when I entertain I love to make a bunch of different cakes so I always have leftovers.  I make bread pudding and it is wildly popular. Here's my recipe:

Leftover Cake Bread Pudding

Ingredients for Leftover Cake Bread Pudding:

• 2 tablespoons of salted butter for pan or Pam

• 1 1/4 cups sugar -plus 2 tablespoons

• 4 eggs

• 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1 teaspoon almond extract

• 3 cups half and half (see note)

• 1 cup whole milk (see note)

• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and brought back to room temperature)

• 10 cups of leftover cake or bread or both (I have thrown everything imaginable in) for example:

•         2 1/2 cups moist chocolate cake (supposedly no frosting but it's forgiving) (cut into small squares)

•         2 1/2 cups stale (3 4 days old) croissants (cut into small squares)

•         5 cups cinnamon coffee cake (cut into small squares)

• 2 banana (sliced) - optional

• 3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut - optional

• 1 cup chopped pecans - optional

• 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional but really good!

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F

2. Butter a 9x13 baking dish and set to the side.

3. In a mixer add 1 1/4 cups sugar and eggs and mix on medium for 6 minutes.

4. Add cinnamon, vanilla extract, almond extract, half and half, milk, and butter to egg /sugar mixture. Beat to combine. Set to the side.

5. Cut chocolate cake, croissants, and coffee cake into cubes. Place them all in a bowl and mix to combine.

6. Take half of the cake cube mixture and place in the buttered baking dish, to make a neat first layer.

7. Then top with bananas, coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips. Top with the remaining cake cubes to make the top layer.

8. Pour dairy mixture of eggs/milk to the top of cake cubes. With both handsgently press down on cake cubes to make sure they are soaked in egg/milk mixture. Then sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.

9. In a large baking dish or roasting pan (1510 inches) fill 1 inch deep with hot water to create a water bath, then place the 9 x 13 inch prepared bread pudding dish in the middle of the 15 x 10 water bath (you want the bath to go halfway up the side of the 9 x 13 inch dish) and place in oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes). (I did not use a water bath and it worked just fine)

10. Once bread pudding is done baking, remove from water bath and and let it cool for 25 minutes.

Note you can use all whole milk or even almond milk.

*Last edited by Winkinpa on 27 Aug 2015 , 6:47pm
ssmore Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 22

that sounds so yummy winkinpa, i will try this weekend. Thanks.

Winkinpa Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 22

Excellent.  Let me know how it turns out!

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 22

I never get domes. I use home-made baking strips: wet newspaper wrapped in aluminum foil and cinched around the pan with a binder clip.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 22

Your bread pudding reminds me of what a friend posted recently.  She uses day old baked goods, donunts, bismarks, etc. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2015 , 11:21pm
post #15 of 22

The best answer is to bake your cakes so they do not get humps :)

For any size or shape pan that uses one mix/batter bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, then turn the oven up to 325 for an equal amount of time. The # of minutes is not a hard and fast rule -  Use your nose to know when a cake is done :)  When you can smell that wonderful aroma in the next room your cake is done.  If it has pulled away from the sides of the pan it most likely is overdone :(   For larger pans adjust the time by about 5 to 10 minutes each temp.  Example: a 16" round takes about 35-45 minutes each temp.   This will produce a wonderful, level, moist cake that is just perfect without all the waste!

ssmore Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 12:21am
post #16 of 22

thanks kakeladi for oven temperature advice, i will try tomorrow since i am baking a small 8" cake, will post my results. Thanks to pastrypet too, will try your trick next time.

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 9:58am
post #17 of 22

Can I ask a numpty question - how would you use the leftovers to make cake pops please?  Btw, I love the idea of using them to decorate on the cake a couple of posts above!!  So simple and so effective.

Winkinpa Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 22

Hep275 - what does "numpty" mean?  

Anyway - there are two methods that I know of for making cakepops... first is to bake little round cake in either a specialty baking pan or my daughter has a little machine that looks like a waffle maker that makes the rounds.  We love using that with brownie batter.  The other method is to mix cake crumbs (hence the use of the leftovers) with icing and form rounds.  That is the more common method though it's a bit overly rich for my taste.  You can find many recipes on here and other places online for the ratios.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 7:44pm
post #19 of 22

i am really bad and in recent years just been baking for family too but i got tired of doing all the falderal -- and brilliant as it is seriously it is -- but i got crabby about nails and magic strips (too tired cahhn't breathe) and to get the right sized cakes i started baking them one inch too big so i'd have a perfect specimen after all the carving -- works great smiley.png

fist bump

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 7:46pm
post #20 of 22

but another thing you can do with the leftover is use it in place of Graham crackers for pie & cheesecake crusts

bam!

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 30 Aug 2015 , 7:48pm
post #21 of 22

numpty means silly/dumb - perhaps an Englishism!!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 1 Sep 2015 , 4:34pm
post #22 of 22

make trifle/parfaits, layer cake scraps with whipped cream and fruit preserves and some liqueur infused syrup, delicious and elegant dessert.

Love the idea of coating the outside of a cake and also substituting for graham crackers in a cheesecake crust!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%