Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By bakernoob Updated 17 Jul 2015 , 11:13pm by Jeff_Arnett

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 15 Jul 2015 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everybody! I'm looking for an awesome chocolate buttercream recipe. I know there are tons here on CC, but I want to know which ones you like best. I'm not a very big fan of chocolate  (I know, I know) so making several batches and trying them won't do me much good. I need something that does not have to be refrigerated & will smooth nicely for a larger cake that has a great chocolatey taste. TIA!!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2015 , 3:47am
post #2 of 4

Try my "2 of everything icing" that can be found in the recipe section.  Then, sub cocoa powder for about 1/3 of the powdered sugar (OR if you want a crusting icing add up to 1 cup cocoa powder in addition).

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I'll look it up

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Jul 2015 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 4

I use my basic buttercream recipe with a twist.

1 cup cocoa

1/3 to 2/3 cup boiling water

3 sticks butter, room temperature

1 cup vegetable shortening

2 pounds powdered sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla

Few drops brown icing coloring if desire.

Put the cocoa in a bowl and add 1/3 cup boiling water.  Stir, adding additional water until the mixture forms a smooth paste about the consistency of pudding.  Cover with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature.

Place butter and shortening in kitchen aid type mixer bowl.  Use the whip attachment to blend for about 30 seconds, then stop, scrape the bowl down, then whip on high 5 minutes (this is also a good way to lighten the color of the butter if making vanilla buttercream.

Blend in the cocoa mixture and vanilla until combined.  Add a few drops brown icing coloring if you want a deeper shade without adding more chocolate.

Switch to the paddle attachment and add all two pounds of sugar to the bowl then cover the mixer with a damp dish towel.

Turn the mixer on low and allow the mixture to blend a couple minutes...it will seem dry at first but will come together.

If you need a thinner icing, heat 1/4 cup heavy cream (or flavored liquid coffee creamers work great too) and add a tablespoon at a time until the icing is the consistency you want.

This icing will stiffen a bit on standing so you may need a bit more cream when ready to use to get the consistency you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%