Large Round Crochet Doily Mold

Decorating By DeniseNH Updated 17 Jan 2015 , 2:30am by craftybanana

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 15 Jan 2015 , 2:04pm
post #31 of 32

hope this isn't too off topic but I had a lovely resin angel (survivor of a set of 6) that used to hang on my Christmas tree the last 20 yrs or so. I so wanted her on my Christmas cakes this year gown, hair and wings beautifully detailed and blowing her celestial trumpet...so I made her several times over. 

I used a silicone for fish tank repairs and mixed it with cornflour until it became a stiff dough and pressed my angel into it. I left it overnight, removed angel, put in gumpaste to the now perfect mold and every detail came out. I'll post a pic when my mobile signal comes back. Scotland is a signal free zone just now thanks to a storm. I'm lucky I still have power.

To Kara, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, your molds are lovely x

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 17 Jan 2015 , 2:30am
post #32 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I didn't even think of a yarn club, that's a good idea.

I'm thinking of the ones that I've seen that are made from a heavy-weight type of mercerized cotton yarn, if that makes sense. Kind of a twine weight? Like a heavier cotton yarn that you'd use with a size 6 knitting needle...I don't crochet so I don't know how to describe it better.

Yep, you go it mercerized cotton. We make dishcloths out of that. Sugar and Cream is one brand. It's a medium weight(4), nice and stiff.

http://www.michaels.com/yarn/basic/809187840#prefn1=brand&prefv1=Lily%20Sugar%20n%E2%80%99%20Cream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%